Author Topic: New Bow Maker  (Read 7325 times)

Offline Joseph

New Bow Maker
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:28:01 pm »
Hi All
I'm a teenage australian getting into self wood bow making.
I have done a lot of pvc bows, with recurving, heat treating etc.
Is it too naive to say that I want to start with an osage self recurve bow for my first?
Attached is a bow I kind of want to make
I have made a very similar pvc bow that ended up around 45 pounds, so yeah.
Also I would really appreciate if anyone gave me tips or anything.
Can you use power tools e.g. belt sander, Bandsaw on a bow?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:36:15 pm by Joseph »

Offline jeffp51

Re: New Bow Maker
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:23:26 pm »
Welcome first. I would go for the middle profile. Go slow. For that reason I would avoid power tools. Have fun, but go slow. Post pics and many will help. Did I mention go slow?

Offline Joseph

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 08:35:07 pm »
Thanks man
This forum is great

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »
Just for the record, nothing you did building pvc bows will transfer to a wood bow, do #2 in the pic if you want a static, get it tillered and bending to around 20" before you recurve the tips so there aren't any suprises, boil/steam the tips with that kind of bend and good luck
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 11:39:51 pm »
Welcome to PA.  Going with hand tools would be a good idea.  Tillering with a belt sander can be risky if you aren't familiar with them.  A bandsaw can save a lot of time roughing out a bow but one mistake could ruin it.  If you are experienced with power tools give it a try but be careful. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joseph

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:42:32 pm »
Thanks guys.
Just a question, how much to limbs taper from the handle to the tips?
I'm looking for a up to 50pound draw weight

Offline cadet

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 01:37:07 am »
Welcome.
Are you on ozbow?  There's plenty of locally applicable material, and plenty of people who may be close enough to help you out in person.
I started on red oak and spotted gum boards from Masters, Bunnings etc.

Offline Joseph

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 02:13:11 am »
Hey cadet
Yeah im on ozbow. Does gum work well?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 06:22:26 am »
Hi welcome to PA , I might suggest picking up a copy of Paul Comstocks book the Bent Stick ,I built my first usable bow buy reading that book, its cheap to buy & well worth it, I also agree that working with PVC has little to do with wood bows as far as tools go I am a 30yr experienced Cabinet/furniture maker & have a complete mill shop but when making a bow the band saw is the only power tool I use but even that isn't necessary you can make a wood bow with very few tools what is necessary is persistence & a preparation for failure not saying you will but wood & learning the craft can be finicky I am also a new bow maker & have made 5 bows 2 of them blew up on the tillering stick but learned a lot from failures,your in the right place to start, you have all the help you need at your finger tips Welcome aboard.
                                                                          Regards Ritchie
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 08:33:48 am »
Welcome to the PA.Beware of the bow making disease bud......lol.Sounds like you got it already though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 08:47:36 am »
The biggest hurdle for most folks is learning how to tiller...you can start with a nice thickness taper,but after that your still going to have to remove wood in isolated stiff areas as wood isnt like the man made materials that are consistent from end to end...you will find stiff stubborn spots along the way....do a lot of reading and research on the ways to tiller,and put most of your focus on that for right now....

The other aspect is design,but thats easy..all ya have to do is ask here and folks can give ya strating rough dimensions for about anything your heart desires....but it all comes down to your hands executing it which will take practice,and quite a bit of trial and error....dont be upset if it doesnt turn out the way ya want it the first 50+ times.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 09:39:29 am »
Check my site for more.
Jawge

http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 10:18:57 am »
Hey Joe, Welcome.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 10:52:30 am »
Welcome, Joe. Most of the best advice has already been given but I have been building bows for two years and I guess the advice I'd want to give you is be patient and take your time. The temptation will be there to compare yourself to the bowyers on this forum but I would advise that you do not, at least not in the beginning. I never made a pvc bow so I don't know how much experience from that would transfer but after 2 years I'm still not ready for recurves. Counting my failures, I have made eight bows, 5 bows that have lasted the construction process but they are ghastly looking things compared to what's put up on this forum. Still I'm proud of them. For books, I would recommend the Traditional Bowyer's Bible series, if you only have money for one, buy the first one. You also mentioned you're from Australia. I don't know if they have Osage orange there and if they do not, I would not recommend that for your first wooden bow attempt. Get something that's easily accessible in your area. For me, red oak is the easiest wood for me to use because I can find it in several hardware stores near my area and I have found more straight grained material in red oak than any other form of lumber and I do not have access to wooded areas to collect tree split staves. Plus, expect mistakes, so if your heart is set on Osage, it might become a real expensive hobby to get a good bow out of it if you break the first couple. I would stay away from power tools when you're still beginning. The only power tool I use is a bandsaw and I only use it to rough out the stave into a bow blank simply because I do not have unlimited time to spend on building bows but for every other part of the bow building process I use hand tools. A farrier's rasp, a Japanese saw rasp, a Nicholson four-in-one rasp, and a sharpened paint scraper for a scraper are the tools I use most. Experiment and use what works best for you. Good Luck.

Aaron

Offline pincushin

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 11:21:24 am »
Hi im a Youngster too cool to see some more young blood here. some of the old fellas can be gruff  >:D >:D