Author Topic: quiver - back or side?  (Read 13628 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
quiver - back or side?
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:12:55 am »
OK, so I have always used side quiver, and the only back quiver I ever used was difficult to fill, difficult to draw from, rattled when I walked and the arrows fell out every time I bent over.........

My boy wants me to make him a back quiver, so how do I go about it?  Photos and ideas, build alongs and links please.  I am pretty sure my experience with a back quiver comes from a really bad design and they probably can be pretty sweet if they are done right - or maybe not - if they just don't work then I don't mind you pointing that out too so I don't waste my time when a side quiver really is what I should be making - again, photos, etc would be really good so I could show him a 'cool' alternative.

Thanks in advance

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: quiver - back or side?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:01:27 am »
Use a softer leather so the back quiver molds to his back. It will keep pressure on the arrows so they don't rattle or fall out. I ever had luck drawing from a back quiver so I can't help with that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:11:48 am »
I've used multiple designs of back and shoulder quivers over the years and I've "Never" found a back quiver design that was convenient or comfortable for me to use. Shoulder quivers like the plains style and stalker/raptor design both purchased or home made seem to better suit my needs.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:49:43 am »
I just received a back quiver in the x-mas trade that I like quite a bit. The top can be closed to keep the arrows in place and has a side hole cut low on the right side for arrow extraction. It's made from hair on deer hide which helps to muffle any rattling from the arrows.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 04:20:58 pm »
i just made one with a bow case. works both ways. Tony

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 03:57:06 am »
Back quivers are an abomination ! Noisy/Tough on broadheads/flags game drawing an arrow/almost impossible to sneak through brushy thick cover without snagging an arrow on every twig. The only time I wear one is 3-D ranges for the "Traditional" look. Hunting I use either a side or Lakota style, and stump shooting a Pocket Quiver gets the nod. My .02 - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 06:45:25 am »
horse archer/asian side quiver or just belt, korean sash or pockets for me. I only got one back quiver on this style for my dad:
It's fine to use but a pain to put arrows into, in my experience. So not really worth it for long target practice sessions

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 10:02:59 am »
I use a back quiver in my yard and a plains quiver in the woods.
Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/quivers.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 10:33:21 am »
loon, I use a similar style quiver but wear it different. I believe it was meant to be worn over the left shoulder with the fletching forward on the right side. Much easier to withdraw and insert arrows when worn the other way. One of my favorite styles of side/ shoulder quiver.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 12:45:43 pm »
I've watched many, many videos of people shooting with back quivers. The only one I can remember that could get the arrows out smoothly was Lars Anderson. All the rest seem to wave their arm around their head searching for the arrow. There are probably many reasons for this but it really doesn't make them look desirable. I haven't used a quiver at all because I don't hunt and we use traffic cones at the range. One of the girls at the range stuffs her arrows in her tall boots. That seems to work.

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 06:48:21 pm »
I've watched many, many videos of people shooting with back quivers. The only one I can remember that could get the arrows out smoothly was Lars Anderson. All the rest seem to wave their arm around their head searching for the arrow. There are probably many reasons for this but it really doesn't make them look desirable. I haven't used a quiver at all because I don't hunt and we use traffic cones at the range. One of the girls at the range stuffs her arrows in her tall boots. That seems to work.
Even this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI

I still prefer a side quiver

Lars 's back quiver was just bad, too stiff and no padding so of course the arrows are going to bounce around and fall

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 07:42:50 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot that one :-[

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 07:13:43 am »
Back quivers are an abomination ! Noisy/Tough on broadheads/flags game drawing an arrow/almost impossible to sneak through brushy thick cover without snagging an arrow on every twig. The only time I wear one is 3-D ranges for the "Traditional" look. Hunting I use either a side or Lakota style, and stump shooting a Pocket Quiver gets the nod. My .02 - Bob.

Couldn't agree more, for my style of bow hunting that is. I use a mini cat quiver for hunting. It hangs off my side while I walk and hangs in my tree when I get there. I use back quivers for 3d shoots and stump shooting/bunny hunting when noise isn't a factor.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:14 am »
I use a side and back quiver both from time to time, I will say there is a learning curve to using a back quiver in the woods, I put some type of fur around the top for noise and use my bow string [bow in hand push up the bottom of the quiver] to kick the quiver up when I want to get an arrow out. I tuck it under my arm when I am going through thick cover, you just have to get use to it. I also take it off if in a blind or tree and hang it while hunting. I really prefer a Asbell style quiver while hunting but always hang it also when I get where I seating. Don't do much stalking unless it's a stump or squirrel.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 01:08:03 pm »
Stump stalking, I think i could do that! ;) ;)