Author Topic: nock alignment  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
nock alignment
« on: January 16, 2016, 11:55:49 pm »
I am wanting to make some arrows with self nocks. How crucial is it that they are dead center and plumb throughout? I am going to be making a jig for doing nock inserts, and want to make sure they are nice, and shoot straight. Does paradox take care of any little alignment issues? Any feedback would be appreciated!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: nock alignment
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 03:46:05 am »
I cut my self nocks freehand just eyeballing center. I haven't had any issues doing it this way, so perfection must not be that necessary.  :laugh:
 I use a japanese flush cut saw cutting perpendicular to the grain(with doweled arrows). Then widen the cut with folded sandpaper. I use a small rat tail file to round out the bottom of the nock if I want it to grab the string. I wrap sinew in front of the nock and I'm finished.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:02:13 am »
I cut my nocks on a bandsaw and do it all by eye.  Then I clamp the arrow in a padded vise and open the cut with a carbide rod tile saw.  I finish the nock off with 150 grit sandpaper.  Seems to work for me.

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:39:32 am »
Maybe it'd matter less with wider, bulbous nocks?? maybe not..

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:45:14 am »
Thanks for the input. I figured that as long as the spine is correct the nock alignment isn't nearly as important. Of course I would try to get it as perfect as possible.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:12:17 am »
I start self nock with a bandsaw cut then open the slot with a thin blade and sand paper until I get the fit I like, loose. With a tight fitting nock I think the alignment might be more critical.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 01:39:08 pm »
I have a 3 tpi blade on my bandsaw and it tears the side out when I try to use it for nocks. I finally settled on the little ceramic cutters(1"dia) that come with Dremel tools. I cut the nock full depth with that and then widen it with a saw I made with two hacksaw blades side by each. Make sure you cut them deep enough. I like 3/8".

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 10:00:43 am »
I cut my selfnocks by hand too.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/nocks.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:23:36 am »
I use a band saw sometimes and sometime by hand but either way the need to be straight. Maybe not prefect as with anything hard to get prefect by hand, but as prefect as you can get them. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good