Author Topic: Bow string ?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Bow string ?
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:58:13 pm »
Took my Maple/sinew bow out to shoot for the second time today & all is shooting well ,I made a continuous loop string with 2  7 strands out of B50 Dacron but was thinking of making a 2  9 strand string that would fit the arrow knock tighter so I don't have to put serving on the string,does ant body have any idea of how much speed I would lose adding 4 more strands ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

Re: Bow string ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:35:06 pm »
I wouldn't use a string too long without serving. My FF strings start to get a little fuzzy after 20-30 shots or so. I serve them as soon as I am sure where the serving needs to be.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 03:03:48 pm »
  We tested that several years ago, I think it came out to be 1 1/2 fps for every 2 strands added. This was with fast flight type string.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 04:09:51 pm »
In my opinion, the serving would weigh less than 2 more strands added to the string but the only way to know for sure is to weigh how much serving you're using and two strands of the appropriate length of the string material you're using. Just my 2 cents. I would serve the string, I have always served more than I need to just so I have enough and its usually more than I need.