Author Topic: KCT D/R bow  (Read 4758 times)

Offline TimPotter

Re: KCT D/R bow
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 08:00:46 pm »
Wow! I like that profile. Is that after shoot some arrows?

Also like that you are leaving it bare-bones. Some bows just don't need any extras this looks like one of them.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 10:08:56 am »
Tim....The bow sits after shooting with about 3/4" of tip set back.Would of liked more but set happens as they say.It returns to 1.25" after 2 hours of resting and after 2 hours brace time and shooting 40 arrows or so.It gains another 1/8" to 1 and 3/8" over night.I expect that to go down farther a bit.It's a fresh bow yet.All in all the wood is telling me I'm ok and not being stressed too much.Been fine tuning the handle arrow pass and believe I about got it right.With a 5 and 5/8" brace from belly of handle it shoots the best.The arrows are 30" long and in the low 50s' of spine weight.Normally with a B50 string the spine of the arrow would be in the 45 to 50 spine weight but I'm shooting a stiffer fast flight string so the spine needs to be a bit higher.I did have to put a couple of Robins' wooly silencers on it though because the string tension is pretty good like a banjo string.It did hum after shooting.Guess that's wasted energy there......lol.I'll keep trying....lol.The bow did show a slight increase in positive tiller after 1 day of shooting so I adjusted that.It weighs 17.75 ounces now.I like 1/8" positive tiller.No more.Some are almost even tillered or 1/16" positive tiller.
Your crepe myrtle bow really looks sweet.I did make my first 18 bows with a hatchet,draw knife,rasp,and a pocket knife.I believe it's still good to do it that way.You give the wood time to dry out nicely and see any stiff areas you need to work on.The fellas here said you'll make more bows Ed faster with a bandsaw and learn faster.I got one then.A person still can't get in a hurry with these self bows.I've used glass lots of times to clean up horn nicely before.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 12:46:42 pm »
Nice bow, Ed. Sweet pofiles.
And a nice and comfortable cabin too, the fur on the coach invites to take a seat and smoking a cigar, drinking whisky ....
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 06:23:00 pm »
Hopefully will get to see this one this weekend!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 10:35:26 am »
Thanks fellas.
simson...It's a good place for that buffalo robe.It's in a screened in porch on an upper deck.We watch the wildlife from there.
Knoll....Yep I'll be shooting er in yet.Nice target bow.Get some finished pics up soon.Nothing that stupendous of a bow in looks but it does shoot nice.Cold and windy today but I'll find some out of the wind place to shoot.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 06:21:06 pm »
Ok finished up with this one.A few more pics.

BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 09:31:25 am »
The tiller looks spot on to me.
See you guys down at Wright City.
BowEd
Ed

Offline simson

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 11:33:12 am »
Yes, looks great. I like how you have worked out the handle, very good job on a beautiful wood.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany