Author Topic: beginner advice  (Read 3434 times)

Offline sapling bowyer

beginner advice
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:59:37 am »
Greetings from Turkey! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. As I am a beginner to this "Primitive Bowmaking" I want some advice and I have some questions. First of all, all the bows I want to make are self bows. I can possibly back them with snake skin in the future. Secondly I want to make stave bows, not board bows and I don't like cutting trunks just to make a bow so I would like to make sapling bows ( max. 3 inch diameter). I would like some recommendations about what type of wood I should use. I have used hazel with success before and I am working on a Yew short bow. I also have very nice straight pieces of black locust but they are mostly sapwood. I read before that we have to use the heartwood only so could I make one out of sapwood? If you have any more advice please comment. :)
Time is short

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: beginner advice
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:22:08 am »
Not knowing what wood you have available to you in Turkey it's hard to say. The woods you mentioned are all good bow woods, even the sapwood of locust.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:31:15 am »
there's plenty of olive, hazel and oak(I don't know which kind) but the oaks aren't decent staves. I may also get access to ash but the best staves around are black locust but I'm not sure if the sapwood will perform well
Time is short

Offline dirthas

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 12:15:43 pm »
Black locust is known as a great bow wood, and the sapwood seems to be a matter of debate:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32411.0.html

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/45985/Black-Locust-sap-wood

I'm also a beginner so I'll give you my take on it. Just go for it! Make a BL sapwood/heartwood bow and see how it turns out. I know that for me, I can't start worrying about "performance" because just getting a bow to shoot is still a struggle. It only takes decent wood to make a bow, but it takes great tiller and a lot of patience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:30:36 pm »
Give the BL sapwood a try. Make it longer and wider. You won't know til you try.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 06:14:14 am »
Thanks for the advice and can I go with 62 inches for the length?
Time is short

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:22:13 am »
What is you draw length ? 62 should be fine for normal draw around 26/27 inches.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 08:22:25 am »
İ have a relatively short draw length around 24 inches so i think it is ok
Time is short

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:32:51 am »
Olive is supposed to be an amazing bow-wood - Google olive longbow to avoid all the bow-tie results that come up from olive self-bow :D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 09:21:39 am »
My first shooter was made from a BL sapling. No ring chasing.
I just finished a BL bow that has 1 layer of sapwood because it wasn't wide enough for all heartwood.
You may be reading about it in good time in Primitive Archer.

BL is best with a heartwood back.
If I do not have enough heartwood I leave as much sapwood as I think I would need.
Remember that sapwood changes to heartwood as the tree ages.

I posted a shot of the bow on here a month ago.
Here's a similar photo as well as some info.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45:35 am »
Thank you very much for you help! I will start on a locust sapling bow
Time is short

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 10:49:26 am »
Also people have great recommendations for olive and I have access to get staves so my next project will be an olive self bow
Time is short

Offline scp

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:59:55 pm »
For a sapling bow, I would consider making a backward bow. I'm too lazy to work carefully with birch saplings with too many knots. So, I just rip them in half and make two backward bows out of each of them, so long as they are more than 2 inches in diameter. Good luck.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 12:34:40 pm »
Dirthas, thank you for those links. The 1st one I found very interesting.

I love it when people think out of the box and just do it. My 1st ever bows were of black locust and sweetgum. This was before I ever heard of "The Bowyers Bibles" or 'Primitive Archer" I just gave it a try. I made a black locust flat bow from a small enough sapling that it had 1" width of heart wood down the center of 2 and a 1/4" wide limbs. It was probably 50/50 sapwood heartwood ratio with a bend in the handle design. Kinda Holmegaard like but it was before I heard of that historic bow. I just made it,  and it worked and it shot well enough for a newbie. and I liked the way it looked. Lately I've been contemplating a BL warbow with sapwood and heartwood showing. It's still in the "hmmmmmm what if?" stage but I'm getting to the point of actually picking up the saw soon. Maybe today.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway