Author Topic: 70# Penobscot style called "KILLS FAR"  (Read 5073 times)

Offline half eye

70# Penobscot style called "KILLS FAR"
« on: January 11, 2016, 07:32:20 pm »
Fellas here is a bow I'm making for Oglala Bowyer, it's to show my gratitude to him for his generosity to the old guy.

While not complete at this point it is a shooting bow. First of all, the wood is ironwood (HHB) and is 54" ntn, just over 1" wide and about 3/4" thick on the main bow. The backbow is also ironwood and about 3/4" wide and just over 1/2" thick. The backbow is 29" ntn. Althouggh this is made in the older "long grip" style I did flip the backbow tips about 1-1/2". While build and tillering I wrtapped the bows together with very fine woven hemp string, set with fish glue for now.

The bow is too strong for me to brace with the push pull methiod, unless Donna slips the loop over while I'm bending it.....otherwise I need to put one end on the floor/ground and kneel on the grip and pull the upper limb-tip back to string her. Also I can not draw the bow in the conventional way so I need to stand on the string and pull up on the bow. Right now it still has the "stretchy strings" so it is not as strong as it will be....it draws 52# just shy of 16" but will draw to 24"+. I believe the bow will finish out at about 75# @ 24".....hopefully it will see a few buffalo.

I'm still deciding on what pattern to wrap the raw-hide grip with so you will see some difference types in these early pics.

Here are some pics to start this off....and a "teaser" of doing the backbow string twisting. That will be the next installment on the strings. Oglala can give me some guidence as to weather or not they look sufficient for the purpose.

Here's the pics, and please ask if I dont mention or picture something.
rich

Offline half eye

Re: 70# Penobscot style called "KILLS FAR"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 07:33:52 pm »
second set

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:08:55 am »
Rich,
            That looks like a powerful bow...70# is outa my league for sure...Main bow looks to bending even from here...Oglala wont have a problem penetrating buffalo with that beast 8)
                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:54 am »
I'm really impressed with all you've accomplished with this project, Rich.  Congratulations.
What material is it your using for the strings?
1’—>1’

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:50:10 am »
I really like the look of that bow. Looks straight out of a time machine. Well done!
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline ajooter

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:54:00 am »
Looks great rich....you definitely have more faith in that rasp handle then I do  ;)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »
Looks like a stolen piece out of the museum, Rich.
Makes me wanna shoot it, that thing looks cool in every aspect.
And thanks for all the specs.
A few additional questions:
Is the symmetrical? I mean do you hold at center and arrow pass is 2" above or so?
Is the daughter bow centered to the mother?
When you unbrace the main bow do you also unbrace the daughter or always be strung?
What length of bow do you think is needed for a 28" draw? Let's say bowwood is elm or BL (what I have access to)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:26:57 pm »
Fellas, I got the backbow cables made and ready to install....but had a talk with Jon W and though it might be a good thing to take pictures of the bow totally unstrung, then braced w/o backbow strings. The reason foir this is so that you can judge the draw pics later to what it looks like now.......
      The reason this is important is because the backbow cable tensioning can change the shape of the brace and fulldraw. It can also make the limbs asymmetrical if they are tension-ed different amounts.
     So here are some pics of how I'm making the strings for this bow. The raw hide is premium grade deer hide and is so carefully done it looks like it went through a thickness planer. Bassically you cut 3/8" wide, fold over a headless nail, twist a little and stretch...twist, stretch etc......and work it with your fingers to smooth.......then hang a weight on it and let dry. There is one other thing (pic taken) else and that is the string diameter will shrink as it drys but not the length.
      enjoy the pics....any ? pleasae ask
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 12:28:22 pm »
next set

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 04:00:05 pm »
Thank you Mr. Burchett.

Parnell, The finished bows strings will be rawhide strings. Thats the only type I've read about for any of these bows. I have added some close up pics of the 51" short grip thats going to Don Burchett.

Thank you Tim, ajooter I'm not too worried  ::)

Simon, I have attached close up pics of one of the bows in the other post and here are those specs:
Standing grain Grey Elm (American)...main bow 51" ntn, 1" wdie tapering to 5/8" at tips....with the backbow being 25" ntn, 3/4" wide tapering to 5/8".....50/52# @ 25"....the grip wrap and strings are elk rawhide from Oglala Bowyer.
    Yes the bows are symetrical as far as grip goes.....with most all my Eastern Woodland bows are grabbed at about center, with the top half of my bow hand which puts the arrow roughly 1" above center. Also I do not make them so that there is a top or bottom limb as such....I will choose one or the other but the bow will shoot either way.
    Yes I do center the backbow to the center of the main bows. There is no need to unstring the backbow as the strings have no (or very little) tension when the mainbow is unbraced...they only come into tension when the mainbow is actually braced up.
   As for length just make the main bow the size of any bow you would make for 28"draw for the first one and you can then decide how much shorter you may wish to go.

Here are those photogfraphs
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 04:01:27 pm »
some more

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:06:15 pm »
Rich my mouth is watering.  I can't wait to see this thing.  I'm definitely going to enjoy this thread and the bow  ;D.  I'm glad the rawhide is serving you well.  Take care my friend!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:04:50 am »
  Rich
          Thank you Sir, can't wait to sling some arrows from that Penobscot bow! I have had much interest in your recent Penobscot builds and learned a lot...I will be sure to report back on the performance... :) It will definitely be a new experience, as I have never shot this type of bow...

Thank you, Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline simson

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 11:12:17 am »
Rich, thanks for that great info and your awesome work!
I have about a dozen bows on the bench and I swore I make them redy before I begin another, but this new will be a Penobscot. And I go back to your thread to fetch all the the insights you have won. Thanks buddy!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 01:58:03 pm »
Oglala.....I just hope I can make it something that you are proud to carry....we'll see sir

Don....workin on yours also (going all rawhide) and we got to throw some lipstick on the little hussy,eh?

Simon, I admire your bows, sir.....dont believe that you need any help from me. Yours speak for themselves.

Fellas,
    I did a little more work on the bow since the backbow strings dried up. I thought that the plain tied knots did not look all that "clean" so I decided to fold the string tie it down with a wrap of rawhide so there are no knots in the string itself. I researched some Oglala / Lakota articles for ideas and decided to paint as you see in the pictures. I may need to re-do if there is some offense in this pattern that I do not know about.  Anyways, here are some updated pics and close-ups. This is all I have right now while waiting for the main bow string to dry up.
rich