Author Topic: American muscle ........Flexing  (Read 7917 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

American muscle ........Flexing
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:48:08 am »
............Been hunting this stand for over a month now, a combination of funky winds and porkers only coming in after dark as made for a completely unproductive effort.

I was supposed to ship the FLEX back Monday morning but because of a mix up with shipping labels I found myself with the gun still in my hands this morning, I had a Bowhunt planned today but since I still had the FLEX around I decided it was worth it to take it out for one last spin.

I was in my Tree blind by 12:30,

at 2:15 a very nice boar came in, unusual looking one, very short legs and very stocky, real thick porker this was grey in color and unusual long fur,

I really wanted to take it,

for sometimes it wasn't giving me a good shot, so I calmed down and settled in to wait for the right opportunity, than all of a sudden his nose went up and he took off in a hurry snorting and grunting real mad.

"Here we go" I'm thinking, " my one opportunity of the day gone in the wind" :( :( :(

Than at 4:30 a very nice young boar came in, nice red color with a blond streak running from the jaw all the way under the belly, definitely a shooter.

As he started grinding on corn his head was behind a tree and I was starting ti stress and expect a wind swirl any minute, than he took a couple steps forward and gave me a perfect broadside, I don't think 2 seconds went by before I pulled the trigger  ;D ;D ;D

I fist thought after the shot was, how remarkably quiet this gun is even in the deep woods.

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: American muscle ........Flexing
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:37:06 am »
Nice pig and wicked looking gun. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:11:27 pm »
Nice shot. 8) Laua time. Mix me a Mai Tai.
Zuma
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:14:37 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 10:31:02 pm »
Awww, did Mr. Pigglesworth fall down with a widdle headache?  Too bad, so sad.   >:D

Good shooting Manny!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:45:56 am »
Nice pig! The FLEX, is rather one of those big bore air rifles?
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:53:48 am »
The FLEX is a .30 cal pellet gun made by a new American company, Wicked Air Rifles

I had this gun for a review and field test, I capped it out with this hunt on the last day I had the FLEX  ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:55:31 am »
Thats awesome! I've been really intrigued by the new air rifles. I live in Missouri and some people here have taken whitetails with them. They seem to be quite powerful. But they are a bit pricey for my budget. Or maybe I just think they should be cheaper!  >:D

Congrats on a good hunt! And lucky you for being the test subject with this new gun!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:56:22 pm »
Wonder what it would take to machine one of those bad boys out?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 05:33:13 pm »
No an easy task.

The technology involved is very complicated and precise.

That's why they cost so much compared to firearms.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 01:15:23 pm »
Interesting weapon. I looked on the web site. It seems that they only offer the .30 cal.
I would think a smaller bore might be an advantage. There must be some good reason, I guess?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 02:37:42 pm »
The best part about air powered projectile weapons is they are not considered "firearms", no combustion no fire. This means you don't need an FFL to fabricate one(at least for now). I am planning to make one that fires helical finned metal "darts" encased in a sabot, kind of like a blowgun on steroids. I'm just waiting for a metal fab guy with some free time and an interest. I'm hoping to convert some old paintball markers, but will still need some custom pieces for sure.

What kind of FPS do you get out of that rifle? and is it CO2 or high pressure air?

Perfect shot on a nice boar by the way. My uncle gave me an open invite to go hunt feral hogs in the panhandle of FL. I may just take him up on that. It looks like a good time.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 06:06:44 pm »
Interesting weapon. I looked on the web site. It seems that they only offer the .30 cal.
I would think a smaller bore might be an advantage. There must be some good reason, I guess?
Zuma

They are going to offer the FLEX in the more conventional .22 and .25 configuration shortly, also they are going to offer them in .308 to shoot cast bullet.

Best part is that you can buy just barrels and swap caliber at will, also the gun is very easy to power up or down to you specific liking

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 06:08:56 pm »
The best part about air powered projectile weapons is they are not considered "firearms", no combustion no fire. This means you don't need an FFL to fabricate one(at least for now). I am planning to make one that fires helical finned metal "darts" encased in a sabot, kind of like a blowgun on steroids. I'm just waiting for a metal fab guy with some free time and an interest. I'm hoping to convert some old paintball markers, but will still need some custom pieces for sure.

What kind of FPS do you get out of that rifle? and is it CO2 or high pressure air?

Perfect shot on a nice boar by the way. My uncle gave me an open invite to go hunt feral hogs in the panhandle of FL. I may just take him up on that. It looks like a good time.

High pressure air, .....this rifle was getting 24 shots @ 900 fps with the 45gr pellet from a 3000 psi fill.

the gun is easily powered up or down to fit the shooter's needs.

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:19:37 pm »
That is a pretty sweet set up. Pellet gun is my go to bug out weapon. Large calibre makes since to me. How do you charge it? Can you pump it anyway?

This has me wondering about high pressure propane d burn the propane charge to boost pressure in the barrel....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:35:46 pm »
Propane under high compression and ignited?!?! Bad idea if you like having an intact skull. Every few years a kid will fill his paintball gun with the wrong gas, usually oxygen from grandma's breathing tank. Never works out good for them. You'd be better off with an atomized liquid fuel like in a potato gun. At that point it becomes a firearm though, and you'll need an FFL if you wanna build one.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna