Author Topic: Black/honey locust?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Black/honey locust?
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:21:46 pm »
Which locust has the long sharp tortuous thorns on the trunk black or honey locust?  I've found three locust trees that are very straight and big enough to make a couple of bows for each tree.  I could have 6 staves. But the thorns are on the trunk and has bean pods!  Thanks for any response!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: Black/honey locust?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »
Not really sure what you mean by tortuous, but an easier distinction is that honey locust often has compound thorns (Gleditsia TRI-acanthos, meaning the three-spined Gleditsia), whereas BL typically has singular spines (though often paired). Both have pods but BLs are small, 10 x 1 cm, whereas in HL they are larger, up to 30-40 cm.
Both can have thorns on the the stem but in HL they can be much longer than in BL and persist longer. In BL, the spines are actually modified pointy stipules (paired axillary leaflets at the base of the actual leaves), in HL they are modified branches. This defines the difference -botanically speaking- between a thorn and a spine:
a thorn is a branch, a spine is a leaf (or part of it).
Not to be confused with a prickle, which is an pointy outgrowth of the epidermis, the outermost layer of the plant. In roses, for example, the prickle is easy to pop off the skin of a branch. http://dept.ca.uky.edu/Morphology/Stemthorns.pdf

So from your description, I would guess you're dealing with honey locust, having very obvious thorns and large pods.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:00:53 pm »
Short answer. Honey=thorns on trunk. Black= thorns on branches. You have Honey.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:28:05 pm »
Honey locust will make a shooter, and its fairly easy to work. The thorns scrape off pretty easily also, a person just needs to be ultra careful when working around the stuff. If the trees are straight and available I would down at least one and give it a go.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DanD

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:26:10 pm »
That is definitely honey locust, with 2-3 and maybe even 4" thorns on the trunk and limbs also.
Dan
Some things in life change but my love for archery never changes

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 06:57:33 am »
Black locusts' hard wood is a greenish color and honey locusts' is a salmon color in a general way too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:27 am »
Black Locust in the US will almost always have borers also. From what I have read the borers do not target honey locust.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 11:31:15 pm »
Thanks you guys!  I will be cutting down all three as they are very straight and I should be able to get several staves from them.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%