Author Topic: Bamboo/Walnut quiver build/help along Updated / leather added!  (Read 41511 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Bamboo/Walnut quiver build/help along All Glued Up!
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2016, 07:50:32 am »
Just got caught up.  Looks great Patrick!  You really saved that in a beautiful way. Job well done

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2016, 09:55:06 am »
Just got caught up.  Looks great Patrick!  You really saved that in a beautiful way. Job well done

Thanks Aaron! Now that I got the tube done it's time to do the leather work!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2016, 08:20:36 pm »
Well it's time for an update. I got a little bit of work done today. Pearly was nice enough to send me a piece of sheep shearling to line the tube with. (Thanks Chris!) I measured the inside circumference and the length I wanted. Measured and marked the shearling and cut it out. I'm no seamstress but I managed to sew it together by hand. It's nowhere near straight but you can't tell in the tube. I test fitted it and cut the crooked end square. Using an arrow I I pushed it in the tube. Then applied some masters leather cement inside the edges as far as I could reach. Using the arrow I worked it around the the glue. Then I glued the outer edge of the top about 1.5 inches down. Then rolled the shearling over the top edge and down about 2 inches. It was a good tight fit and I'm pleased with the results. I'm not sure how I will dress up the edge of the shearling on the outside yet. Any suggestions would be awesome?
I started on the leather cap for the bottom also.  I took a thick piece of leather and traced out the shape of the bottom of the tube on it. Cut it out and glued it to the bottom with masters cement. Now I need to make a leather end cap. I played with some leather trying to wet form it over the end. But I'm not sure how that's going to work wen I roll it over the edge. I might make a 2 piece leather bottom. Any suggestions or pictures would be great?
Here is a few pictures of where I'm at right now.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2016, 08:52:15 pm »
For the bottom a nice tight fit would be great but in lieu could you punch holes around the edge of the leather and lace it tight?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 09:16:33 pm »
Thats kinda what I thought about doing if I can get the pucker around the edges to look right if not I will stitch up a two piece bottom like a cup and us that.

Patrick

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:28 pm »
It's looking good.  You better hurry and finish that up Patrick.  The Classic is only 2 weeks away.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2016, 11:40:48 pm »
Thanks Clint! I wish I could go to the classic,  I'm sorry I'll miss the redneck remadas maiden voyage. I need to have this quiver done by mojam though. The way my projects go I might have to hurry anyways.

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2016, 11:25:26 am »
That looks good Patrick. Should be very quiet to carry and use now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2016, 11:50:56 am »
Thanks Pearl,  yeah I dropped 3 or 4 arrows in it and shook it around. The only noise I heard was from the arrows hitting themselves. What a big difference.

Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2016, 10:57:06 pm »
Ok guy's,  I've been home sick the last couple of days so I've been messing with the leather portion of this build. I'm pretty pleased as to how everything come out. The only thing is I'm not sure about the position of the top strap. I've already set it in place but with a little work I can move it. I think I need to put it just under the shearling at the top. What do ya'll think? I left the stitching ends long so I could add some decorations if I decide to. I am putting some elk antler buttons on. Any other ideas?
Here's a few pictures. Any advice is welcome!

Patrick

Offline sleek

Re: Bamboo/Walnut quiver build/help along Updated / leather added!
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2016, 02:20:45 am »
One suggestion.  Make me one just like it. I got more bamboo!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2016, 07:29:25 am »
Sharp! Maybe use it a bit to decide if strap should be moved up.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2016, 08:25:11 am »
Dig, dig, diggity!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2016, 08:49:35 am »
Very cool quiver Patrick. Well done!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2016, 09:14:39 am »
Just got caught up here.Read the whole thing.Top shelf quiver there.Nice touches to it.One that nice I'd put my name on it or something.Keep it for a lifetime.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed