Author Topic: Prepping bow back for rawhide?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Prepping bow back for rawhide?
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:18:36 am »
Hi all I am getting ready to back a roughed out Yew bow with rawhide and I am wondering whether I should round the edges on the back.
I had to reduce the thick sapwood on the stave and it now has a pretty flat back (perfect for gluing rawhide to!) But I think that I need to round the edges on the back to reduce stress there? Any input would be most appreciated thanks! :-)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Prepping bow back for rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:25:41 am »
I like my edges to start square when I add rawhide for one reason, It makes a clean edge. Once it is dry I go back over it with a sanding block and blend/round the edge of the rawhide into the wood. If you round it before you add rawhide to can easily end up with 3/16" wide rawhideless :) gaps running up each side of the limb after you blend the rawhide in. I like my rawhide right up to the edge.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:39:51 am »
I just break the sharp edge n thats it because i know im gonna be going back over them to clean up any excess glue that runs off the sides and round and blend them afters

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:43:28 am »
I do the same as  Good Chris and Bad Chris. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:54:14 am »
Thanks very much guys. I was hoping that having a nice flat back would be the way forward. It'll make the task a great deal easier!
Now i've just got the thin the hide then i'll be able to get to gluing it down!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb