Author Topic: 4th Annual Moon Tree Gathering  (Read 51361 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 4th Annual Moon Tree Gathering
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2016, 11:29:30 am »
Vacation has been approved for 3/18. Be there after lunch.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2016, 12:14:33 pm »
Dave, Would you mind if I arrived Friday morning as well?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 11:31:40 pm »
Sorry Clint, check in for the "honeymoon suite" is 2PM.  haha  Just kidding.  Come on down whenever you can get here.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2016, 12:05:39 am »
This crack might be a "game changer."  It's not a good picture of the location of the crack.  It came from the handle, across through the left fade and of the limb.  GRRR!  I thought I had sanded/scraped through most of it, but when I heated that limb to straighten string alignment, it opened up more.  I've scraped and sanded it out now, I think.  I'm 80% sure that I still have enough wood to make a 50# bow.  I had planned on a stiff handle bow, but it's 50/50 as to whether it will have to be a slightly bendly handle bow.  My saving grace is the limb are 2" wide.  My handle is still over 1" thick.  So I'll be making the call as I get more bend in the floor tillering.

Tuesday, I'll even out the trough I scraped in the fade to remove the crack.  Then reduce the thickness of the limb through floor tillering.  I'll have a better understanding of bow then.  After that, I'll attempt to heat out some woo-dee-doos on the other limb.  I've never worked on "one limb at a time" during the flooring tillering before.  But, if I work on flattening the humps out of the top limb first, tomorrow, that will be all I get done, because I like to wait for the wood to neutralize at least a day after I use a heat gun on it before I try to bend it.  We'll see how this technique works out :)

Promise I'll take more pictures, tomorrow.

Man, it great to be in the shop, WORKING ON A BOW, again.  I had forgotten how addicting those little curls of yeller wood are.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2016, 11:07:45 am »
Where is the picture Dave?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2016, 02:25:03 pm »
hmm don't know what happened to the pic
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2016, 02:38:39 pm »
If that is in the fade you might be able to round it off enough to get rid of it.  I don't think it will cause you any problems.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2016, 08:08:29 pm »
Clint, my plan is to have a round handle then continue the roundness out past the fades by a 1/2" then flatten the belly.  As pictured, I got rid of 95% of the crack today.  I got the limb bending some floor tillering.  There's still a lot of wood that needs to be removed.  I put a seam of super glue over the crack to prevent it from opening up, again.  This crack was caused during splitting around a knot.

Worse case scenario is it splits off at the fade corner, which would still allow me to make an eastern woodland/bendy handle bow.

There's a lot of new stuff I'm trying with this bow.  It will probably change hour by hour.  I'm just going to listen the to the wood to see what kind of bow it wants to be.  If I listen closely to the language of the wood, it should turn out OK.

This stave would have been a pretty good candidate for a R/D.  And, I really toyed with the idea, but since I've never done a R/D bow, I chicked out.  haha

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2016, 12:53:33 pm »
Its looking good Dave

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2016, 08:36:03 pm »
The crack is gone,now.  I had it on a long string just a bit, today, to see how it's balancing out. A bit more scraping then I'm puttin it back on the caul to heat in some reflex
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2016, 08:56:18 pm »
That's hanging with it Dave.....this is a good lesson if a spot looks suspect hang with it a while to see if it turns out .....I think that's call patients.
Way to go...will be looking to see it in a few weeks.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2016, 09:21:02 pm »
Sounds like you showed that stave who was boss.  Nice work Dave.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2016, 01:10:41 am »
Sounds like you showed that stave who was boss.  Nice work Dave.

I'm sure there will be more battles to fight. But, isn't the whole fun of building a bow from a log.  You gotta listen to the wood, then decide whether you can change it's mind or you have to change your mind.

Like I got 85% of the woo-dee-doo out. I can work with the way it is, but I'm going to try to get another 10% out of it when reflex it, Thursday.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2016, 06:27:32 pm »
Just 5 more weeks till...........who all is coming ?  I'll be there Friday along with the Outlaw and Gutshot ...I can't wait, I missed last year and regret it.  Hope to be working on a bow and some arra's.....be here before you know it....any trades going on? 
Dave I'll make some apple cobbler in the dutch oven for sure.   
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DLH

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:36 pm »
I'm still going don't know if I will be there Friday or Saturday though.