Author Topic: Safety Talk  (Read 4717 times)

Offline JEB

Re: Safety Talk
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 07:49:19 am »
Not knowing where you are from and if "cold" is an issue or not I will write with living in Michigan or cold winter states in mind.

Both vehicles have two  army blankets, a flash light, mits and a stocking caps.  If for some reason we get stranded we will have the ability to keep warm.  The truck is a 4 by 4 and has a Craftsman tool box, chain and shovel in the back.

As far as your home security goes : I have front and rear motion lights on the house that are on 24 / 7 so when someone walks near the house the lights go on.  When we leave for any extended period of time I connect two room lamps and a radio in the house with timers to go  on at a selected time.

Criminals have no boundries . We live in a pretty decent neighborhood.  Our neighbor who lives across the street has had his vehicle broken into 9 times in 3 years.  He quit locking truck up because they would smash the door window to get in. He called the police just a couple of times.  I told him that he needed to call every time something happened.  If the police don't know there is a problem area they won't drive around much.

Years ago another neighbor saw a vehicle pull up next to my storage barn and three kids get out. The kids then roamed behind my house (wife and I were gone) and then moved on down the block as the vehicle move slowly along.  Neighbor got the license plate number and gave it to me when I got home. I ran the plate on LEIN and chased down the driver which lead to the other kids.  They were doing what teenagers do, looking for beer in peoples garage refrigerators.  It was then that one parent learned that his son was an alcoholic and got him some treatment.

If you have a neighborhood problem, take it upon yourself to start a neighborhood watch program.  Google that to get the details on what to do for a start up.

JacksonCash

Re: Safety Talk
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 08:39:05 am »
JEB, thanks for the advice.
I'm glad you pointed out the "Call the police when something happens" I'd hate to be a nusance to them calling for something that didn't matter, but I definitely would call them again in a similar situation.
Growing up in and currently living in Michigan has taught me to keep blankets in the car. I remember being stuck on I-75 during the blizzard of '96 up in Sault Ste Marie for a few hours. It was not an awesome time.