Author Topic: Tree ID?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Loope

Tree ID?
« on: January 09, 2016, 08:45:12 pm »
My wife wants this area cleaned up, so these trees are targeted for removal.  Can anyone help identify this tree?  It will become either firewood or bow wood if it is any good.  I can't seem to find a good ID.  I thought maybe a privet?  In the picture of the trunk, it is the one on the left with smooth gray bark.  Leaves stay on through the winter time.  Location is East TN.

Thanks,

Michael

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 11:33:27 pm »
Does look like privet. Should make good bows and arrows. Privet does check easily if not handled properly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 07:06:49 am »
I can't go check right now but possibly legustrum. (sp.)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:09:44 am »
Privet is a type of Legustrum.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Loope

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:07:07 pm »
Thanks Pat,

There are some pretty good straight sections that would make decent staves, so I will save those.  I have heard that privet shoots make good arrows, but what about splitting arrow shafts from privet logs?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:29:10 pm »
You'll never get it to split straight enough for arrows. Shoot arrows and good and if made right are virtually indestructible.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 04:09:21 pm »
The bigger leaf is what I call legustrum. The smaller is what I call privey. I think either makes good shoot arrows and a big enough trunk section could make a bow. I have not tried either but a lot of folks here have. Pat, you are the man when it comes to ID on bow stuff for sure. Let me know if my pics are good enough for an ID. I still have not replaced my decent camera. Sorry for the pic.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:12:59 pm by Chief RID »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »
That's a good pic showing leaves, leaf orientation and form.

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 04:42:51 pm »
Hi,
What do you mean PATB? Does privet grow in spiral?

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 08:53:01 pm »
Some woods just grow with an interlocked texture rather than straight lines like typical clean splitting woods. It's likely more from the line of the grain taking a slightly different route every year. You'd have to saw this type of wood to get a decent yield of wood.