Author Topic: Mature bucks are a different animal than little deer!  (Read 6934 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Mature bucks are a different animal than little deer!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 09:13:24 pm »
Thank you Beadman.  It is awesome to hunt the rut and watch the chase, but I fear that is about over for the year.  I agree completely about hunting with a selfbow - it is the ultimate.  There is nothing better than taking a deer with gear you built with your own hands, from the materials right there in the woods you are hunting in.  When it comes together, nothing can feel more right.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:19 pm »
That must of been an exciting few moments for ya Howard, just figuring out where a big one is and getting a good look at him is enough to keep you going back time after time. I know what you mean about those big boys locking up and standing still for long periods of time and then just changing their travel plans for no apparent reason. Its fun trying to figure out what you need to do to put a tag on a particular mature buck that you know lives where you hunt. I'm sure your plotting your next move, hope you get your shot at him.

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:17 pm »
Thanks Greg.  I am not throwing in the towel by a damn sight.  If I ever do connect with this one, you and Bill won't be able to tolerate sharing a campfire with me at the next classic.  I will try to give Tommy a run for his money on the story telling.   ;D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 09:23:19 am »
I think he got ya Mr. Rhodes. I think I would try to catch them coming back if you can or maybe got a little further from the funnel and take a chance there. Then go back and hunt your stand again. What a chess match. You are really in the game. Enjoy!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:45 am »
Thanks Chief RID.  You have given me an idea.  Time to adjust my set up. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 06:24:24 pm »
Howard, if you do get him you are allowed to tell the story only 1 time each evening at the campfire,  unless you are serving us his backstraps,  in which case you can tell the story as often as you want. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 06:28:56 pm »
Thanks Greg.  I am not throwing in the towel by a damn sight.  If I ever do connect with this one, you and Bill won't be able to tolerate sharing a campfire with me at the next classic.  I will try to give Tommy a run for his money on the story telling.   ;D

I "think" I could put up with it, but you've got a way to go to give Tommy a run for the money on story tell'n.......  :) :) ;) just ask Sharon  I have never seen anyone laugh sooo hard at the same story night after night.....but it was pretty funny.. :)

I was typing this at the same time Greg and I have to agree with ya.... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 08:46:53 am »
I am laughing remembering his whole routine.  I am not in the same league with T for story time.   Looking forward to seeing you fellows.   I will bring my big skillet, but doubt we will have any red stag this time.   :(
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 05:16:18 pm »
 I know I've spent the last 40 plus years finding out. Learning,watching learning the do's and don'ts of mature bucks.

Sweet story
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING