Author Topic: Safety Talk  (Read 4721 times)

JacksonCash

Safety Talk
« on: December 29, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »
Hey guys-
I've not in the past been too big into personal safety/home security type of stuff, but a few recent things have come up which have got me thinking in that vein. So, I've got some questions for you folks.

1) Recommendations for car safety kits? I'm planning water(how to prevent freezing, or at least keep bottles from rupturing), some flares, typical first aid stuff, and we always have boots/blankets/gloves/hats in the car this time of year. What else can you suggest?

2) Security cameras. I want something to watch my vehicles and garage. Been thinking about a trail cam, as they are kind of a one stop shop, and I'm not super concerned about getting video. What do you think about that?

3) Flashlights. I want one to carry with me on my belt or in my pocket, and at least one more to keep near the bed for things that go bump in the night. Do you guys have any suggestions on that? I've heard Nitecore makes some nice ones...

I think that wraps it up. Lemme know what you think.

Offline le0n

Re: Safety Talk
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 04:24:57 pm »
you could add a cig lighter air pump, tire plug kit, and fire extinguisher to your vehicle equipment list. a couple of knives are good to keep in the vehicle too. i believe there are four or five in my car at all times (three within arms reach). keep something that can bust a window too in case your door (or someones door) gets jammed. some knives have this feature on the butt end.

in regards to security cameras, trail cams are a good idea as long as they don't get swiped (you have to think like a crook). if you have wifi that can reach your garage, you can setup some systems that sense motion and photograph (also with infrared lighting) and email the image sequences directly to your phone or email. these can also be setup to transfer via wifi to a hidden network drive within your home.

there are some kits that you can install on your garage door that will notify you by email/txt when your garage door is opened.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:25:10 pm »
First, great idea, second on the water if you don't fill to full there is room for expansion, food, you need atleast 24hrs of food for the max of the vehicle, it can be freeze dried or something that won't spoil, peanut butter and crackers jerky trail mix, those pre made tuna lunches, a tarp extra socks
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline StevenT

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:35:42 pm »
If you have Wi-Fi, take a look at the VueZone system. They are relative inexpensive, motion detection, infra red and sends notification right to your smartphone. We use one of these systems on our vacation rental house and it works great. Easy to set up and you can get pretty good used systems on ebay.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:40:14 pm »
This is my security system

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:14:43 pm »
Paul, that is the best security...hands down! 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 06:21:51 pm »
A loud sounding pup works like a dream. Harbor Freight sells a cheap multi camera DVR kit. LED flashlights are really cheap now. If you want a head lamp I would suggest a Coast, they are a bit spendy, but work really well. How cold is it to freeze water? Most water bottles you buy at the store wont break if frozen, I use them as ice in my lunch box for work. You can also get a good roadside safety kit for pretty cheap. I also always have a knife, and a cheap saw in my truck. As well as candles, and at least two ways to start a fire.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 06:24:25 pm »
Yes sir Pat. One thing I do know is if you come home and your dog greets you at the door your house is fine to walk into. My wife knows very well that if she comes home and my shepherd's not there to greet her something is very wrong and to turn back and get someone else to walk in the house with her. Either someone hurt your dog or the dog is very sick. I have two little children that she watches like a hawk. It's truly amazing how much more aware a dog is compared to a human with their surrounding environment. Jason have you ever been sitting in your house and your house makes a weird noise and you look at your wife and say what was that? You will never say that again with a trustworthy dog in the house

Offline son of massey

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 06:32:43 pm »
A lot of bottled waters can get pretty cold without freezing-But they will solidify right up after opening sometimes too. As was mentioned if they arent full they should last. I tend to keep a small knife and a hatchet/axe with the vehicle. Some rolled up blankets are nice-sleeping bags work well for that and are an easy ready to sleep option. A few flares are a good idea and i always have at least a way or two to make a (relatively) easy fire. A tow rope and standard cordages are good to have. Mill's has a 500ft paracord roll in the camping section that is pretty god in $/ft and I keep one with a tarp or two in each vehicle. A way to get help is also nice, be it a prepaid burner type cell or whatever. Another good option may be a USB cigarette adapter and spare cell charger that matches your phone and that stays in the kit-it is not for everyday use and doesnt leave the vehicle.

SOM

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:36:46 pm »
If it's an option, move to a better neighborhood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 10:26:29 am »
Like some of the others I'd look into a wifi camera setup, the trailcam is too easy to abscond with your evidence....

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 04:13:46 pm »
     Great suggestions.  Also, another pair of boots, and a small camp axe, or hatchet, for cutting firewood, fallen trees across the road, for chipping ice, around the vehicles' tires, or for water.  And a small pot to boil water, and tea bags. Also six or eight of those little hotties, hand warmers.  Ooh, just remembered, "Toilet paper"!!  For me I always have fire arm handy.

Wayne
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:13:42 am by stickbender »

JacksonCash

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 08:30:18 am »
Thanks for your suggestions guys.
My neighbor hood is pretty good, but someone has been wandering through checking car doors and, apparently only stealing spare change from the cars. The genius did it after a snow storm, so the 5-0 follwed his nice fresh tracks to his door a few blocks away - checking every car he went by. That's what prompted the want of a camera or some such.

Other than that, just having the baby coming very soon has got me all worked up. I went out got some tarps, flares, a second tire inflator since I seemed to have given our other one away when I sold my last car. Picked up a few other things as well - I won't bore you with the whole list.

I do wish we had a dog. My wife is a cat lady through and through, but my boy's going to need a pup to play with at some point. She'll just have to deal.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:15 pm »

Well for your car, I used to use a baby monitor, in my car, when I was on the road, but now I use a drive way alert, which you can get pretty cheap, at H.F. and it has a hundred yard range, or more.  Works well.
                                   Wayne

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 06:36:05 pm »
The most effective deterrent I've ever heard of is a motion sensor hooked to a hidden outdoor speaker that makes the sound of a pump action shotgun cycling(familiar to everyone, causing instant paralysis and involuntary urination). The guy who put it together also had dogs barking/growling and various shouted phrases(some stolen from rap CD's) to choose from depending on who was approaching the door. Hours of entertainment right there boy!
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna