Author Topic: Just braced yew  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
Just braced yew
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:49:04 am »
Hey folks,

I'm trying to take this one slow. I have trouble floor tillering, and have stopped using a long string because of various issues.

This yew is 62" and maybe an inch past brace. Top limb on the right. It looks to me like I need to scrape some wood off the right limb from mid limb on. Looks like a hinge might develop on the inner third on right limb(if you draw a line 1 1/2" in from right side of cinder block). 

Left limb looks ok to me. Any other opinions/comments before I start pulling this one further?

The unbraced photo is a mirror image because I flipped the bow on the tree. I used a photo editor to mirror it so that it is facing the same way as the braced photo.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Just braced yew
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:52:35 am »
The outer 2/3 of each limb looks stiff to me but be careful just off the fade on the right(top), like you said, the beginning of a hinge.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 11:07:17 am »
like Pat says!! watch out for that spot , the weakest point will determine  where to remove the remaining  wood
you can even see without the braced picture that the outer limbs are too slightly too thick
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:20:43 pm »
The outer 2/3 of each limb looks stiff to me but be careful just off the fade on the right(top), like you said, the beginning of a hinge.

like Pat says!! watch out for that spot , the weakest point will determine  where to remove the remaining  wood
you can even see without the braced picture that the outer limbs are too slightly too thick

+1 exactly!
Good start though, absolutely not the worst first brace I've ever seen or done myself. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 01:04:18 pm »
Thanks for the tips gys. The unbraced was actually from one step before, but the thickness difference is pretty obvious in the picture.

I need to gey my eyes calibrated, but at least I saw the hinge!

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 12:12:27 pm »
Here it is at about 11".  Not sure of weight probably around 30# right now.

I've been taking it slow , this is what it looked like last night before I called it a day. I'm looking to get some more opinions before I start working/pulling on it more.

The left limb is looking stiff on inner 1/3 to me. The right limb looks good until the tip. Maybe a little stiff on right limb middle?

Thanks for the help (limping along).

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 12:35:04 pm »
I would work on the left inner(like you said) until it matches the right. Then I would leave the inners for a while and work on the mid and outers for a bit.