Author Topic: Two Brothers Bows  (Read 6016 times)

Offline RLimerick

Two Brothers Bows
« on: December 28, 2015, 07:09:47 pm »
This past Spring I cut a fine hickory sapling and table sawed it into two equal halves.  I then roughed out the green wood and set them in my bedroom for a 6 month drying period.  This December,  I made two hickory longbows that were 72 inches long for these two brothers that I am kin to for their Christmas presents.  They were slightly bendy handled, just like I like em, and they drew and shot like a dream.  They both came in at 53 pounds each at 28 inches of draw.  I toasted the bellies on each and induced a bit of reflex into the Old Hickory bow with some steam.  They both shot sweet, but one of the staves really wanted to be a bow.  My bowmaster, Hrhodes, said that with my making of these twin bows that I had officially graduated to novice bowyer with all the toasting I did.  He said we would have a graduation ceremony when it quits raining!

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Two Brothers Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:22:52 pm »
Very nice looking hickory sticks you have there......Mr Rhodes knows what he's talking about, you should be proud...
Come on up to the Classic this year with us this year, good time is had by all...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:50:18 pm »
Profiles look good. Redhead looks a bit concerned! Congrats!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 07:56:05 pm »
Those bows look real nice Robbie, couple of fine Christmas presents you made there. Now Make sure Howard brings cake to your graduation party. :)  Like Bill said come join us at the classic this spring, it would be fun to have another alabama-ian at the campfire.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:56:56 pm »
Profiles look good. Redhead looks a bit concerned! Congrats!!

I'd say she looks skeptical.  Build one for her next!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 08:14:52 pm »
Noice👌🏼
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »
Lookin good, some mighty fine hickory sticks,
Whatever you are, be a good one.

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 08:32:04 pm »
nice bows

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 08:39:03 pm »
Looks like you did well!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 09:09:29 pm »
All I can say is ya better stick everything that Howard says in yer pocket.... you could not have a better teacher sir !!!!   Oh, and your bows look damned fine as well.
rich

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 09:20:28 pm »
Well, you have an excellent mentor in Howard. You did well with those bows, Rlimerick. Nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:49 pm »
Those pics really don't do justice to those bows.  I have shot both of them and they are real performers and look perfectly tillered when you see them drawn back right...  Those two novice recipients have no idea what fine bows they have been gifted by Uncle Rob - but it sure put a big grin on their faces!  Greatest Christmas presents that I could think of - you really hooked them up right.  Great work brother. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:45:48 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Drewster

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 11:00:28 pm »
Yep, the young redhead needs a bow to shoot.  Skeptical or bored, fix her up ;-)    A fine looking pair of twin hickory sticks.  I hope the brothers appreciate what they have been gifted.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 02:02:10 am »
Nice work!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 08:50:47 am »
Good job, those fella's will have those bows for years. Don't trust that Rhodes guy......:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.