Author Topic: Only one limb reflexed?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline dirthas

Only one limb reflexed?
« on: January 07, 2016, 08:58:55 pm »
I have this small osage stick that's starting to look like a bow. It had some bad twist in it that I heated out, but I think the way I clamped the stave after the heat introduced more reflex in one limb than the other. Here is is unbraced with more reflex in the left limb:

I'm guessing this is something I need to fix by trying to reflex the limb on the right to match the left limb? I know sometimes it makes sense to keep the upper limb slightly stiffer if the arrow is shot higher than center. So could I also tiller like normal and just let the reflexed limb be the stiffer upper limb?

Here it is with a small pull on it, you can see the left limb is stiffer at this early stage:

Thanks in advance!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Only one limb reflexed?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 09:34:12 pm »
Makes it a little more difficult to tiller but it is doable. Just keep in mind that both limbs have to do an equal amount of work or close to it. That means they have to move an equal amount though I like the bottom  limb a bit stronger. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 10:01:07 pm »
I'd put some reflex in the right limb and make it easier for yourself.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:05:21 pm »
Even the limbs up and stay away from the fades till you get the rest of the limbs working
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dirthas

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:29:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll even the reflex since I am still a noob. "More difficult but doable" sounds like expert-talk :)

bubby that's my goal once I add the reflex. Right now the outer thirds of each limb are stiff and I think simply getting those to bend those will get it down to weight.

This stave is probably about 30% sapwood by volume, and the back ring is a mixture of sap/heart. I'm excited to see if she turns into a shooter because so far she sure is a pretty stick:

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:29 am »
I know I probably sound like a broken record, but if one would mimic their holds on the tillering tree (rope and pulley system), there would be no question. Bows such as these can be tillered by the same methods, using the same gauges and goals as limbs with identical profiles. It takes the mystery and guesswork out of relative limb balance, without trying to make the limbs match in appearance. Besides, do they always inherently match in their behavior because they look alike? Or what if there's a disparity between them that can't be altered?

I have a couple of bows started that look similar to this one that I plan to use to demonstrate what I'm talking about once I get caught up a little here.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline dirthas

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:07:54 am »
I know I probably sound like a broken record, but if one would mimic their holds on the tillering tree (rope and pulley system), there would be no question. Bows such as these can be tillered by the same methods, using the same gauges and goals as limbs with identical profiles. It takes the mystery and guesswork out of relative limb balance, without trying to make the limbs match in appearance. Besides, do they always inherently match in their behavior because they look alike? Or what if there's a disparity between them that can't be altered?

I have a couple of bows started that look similar to this one that I plan to use to demonstrate what I'm talking about once I get caught up a little here.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by mimicking a hold, but I am intrigued. I'll be sure to look for your post when it's up.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 11:10:00 am »
It means to replicate your grips/pressure fulcrums on the bow and string as closely as possible. For instance, when your bow is complete, are you going to draw the string from exactly where you're drawing it in the picture above? If not, then why tiller and train the limbs this way when you'll shoot it differently?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 06:21:50 pm »
I agree with the comments above.reflex the right limb to match and certainly stay away from the inner limbs.a good floor tiller is key,just think of it like uncoiling a spring getting the outer limbs bending, working in. Towards the fades.good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:42:42 am »
Make a caul, and heat in reflex in both limbs! Let's say 4-5 "
...... and as Jawge said stay away from the fades!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany