Author Topic: backing a thin ringed osage.  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Rob W.

backing a thin ringed osage.
« on: December 26, 2015, 03:52:09 pm »
My latest bow is a snakey, narrow thin ringed osage. It shoots well and has taken little set but the rings worry me. What would you recommend  for backing? I have used rawhide before and linen. Also where are you guys getting your rawhide? Deer, goat, antelope?  Thanks.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: backing a thin ringed osage.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 03:59:09 pm »
i like deer hide,, cause it is very thin,,, and strong,,does not seem to slow the bow down at all,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 03:59:44 pm »
  I never back thin ringed osage, no need. It should be fine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 05:51:54 pm »
I've also used deer rawhide for thin ringed osage
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 12:53:17 am »
I have never backed thin rings either and 8 mostly make thin ring bows. Of course back it if you want, or have tool marks you cant get rld of, but with out flaws thin ring bows last well as thick.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:39:32 am »
The thinnest, cleanest rawhide you can find. Like Brad said, young deer hide is nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 08:54:16 am »
  Theres no need to back any osage bows.

Like all osage bows I make. Even thin ringed bows I use the first ring under the sawood.

Most back rings are stronger than thicker rings under it. I've never backed a osage bow in my life.

I've even made 2 personal bows with boarers holes. Both were 64" and 60" 61#@26" both were shooters. The 60" had 7 holes.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 09:05:17 am »
If you have never backed an osage bow in your life, Roy. You cant stand up and yell it's not needed. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 09:08:47 am »
Rob W.....To get this thin rawhide maybe you already know this but I frame up a yearling.Flesh and dry scrape dehair it.It will be paper thin and perfect then.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 09:11:18 am »
If it's a feeling of security you want do it but sometime you may shoot someones' bow that is thin ringed and see for yourself most times it is not needed.IMHO.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 09:59:01 am »
If you have never backed an osage bow in your life, Roy. You cant stand up and yell it's not needed.
That makes no logical sense.
If you have backed Osage bows and they haven't broken... you can't say if they would have broken if left unbacked.
Conversely if you haven't backed any and they haven't broken... then you can say they didn't need backing.
The only scenario that suggests backing may have been necessary is if you have made unbacked ones... and they've broken! >:D

Sorry if that's all a bit pedantic :-[
Just sayin'

BTW I do have an interest as I have some thin ring Osage from the Monster tree :) and I'm toying with how to handle it.... single ring back, rings running back to belly... or to back it?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 10:16:19 am »
    The only time I would back a thin ringed osage was if the back was somehow compromised. One advantage might be protecting the back from nicks, a thin ring might be more sensitive to damage,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 10:22:59 am »
ditto
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 10:24:55 am »
Thin ringed osage has been just fine unbacked in my experience, that is if you chased a ring without getting to thin in some areas and if the early/late wood ratio in the stave is good. I rawhide backed a couple osage bows when I first started years ago when it likely wasn't necessary. Conversely I also hunted with an unbacked one for a few seasons that had two serious ring violations on the back, right at midlimb and it held up fine. I used that one a lot, even killed 2 deer with it. The bow probably spent 60 days in the woods, strung all day and in all kinds of weather and survives still. Was the second bow I ever made and was crudely tillered and ugly to look at. But it was osage so it lives on. :)
Nothing wrong with backing yours as a just in case, if it blows because you didn't back it you'll trust your instincts next time. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 11:26:54 am »
I just finished a 56" RD bow that draws 48 @ 27". The rings where so thin and the early/late growth was a total blur, junk wood some may say. I couldn't find a decent back with sand paper. So, burn it or back it? That chose seems evident to me.