Author Topic: Hungarian Osage query?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Hungarian Osage query?
« on: December 27, 2015, 04:48:25 am »
Anyone here ever had any experience with Hungarian Osage? I'm considering getting some and wondered if its likely to have the same great bow wood qualities as the US original. Having said that I know every bit of wood has its own qualities- but just to get a baseline.
Merry Christmas and Happy new year by the way! :-)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Hungarian Osage query?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 08:41:29 am »
My gut feeling tells me it should be an outstanding bow wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 08:52:05 am »
Cheers Beadman. Theres only one way to tell I guess so I might just have to take the plunge! :-)
 I've been really enjoying the bows you've been posting by the way they look really great! :-)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:05:33 am »
Cheers yourself....Well I try anyway thanks.Ditto back.Is it rather expensive wood to get?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sieddy

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 09:55:26 am »
Yes Osage is very expensive here in the uk. So as ive seen a peice that is reasonably priced im considering it. But its still quite a bit of money so I thought id check on here to see if anybody (Europeans I suppose) had any experience with the stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 12:29:50 pm »
I've never used Hungarian osage but have used Argentine osage and was pleased with the results. Only difference I could tell was a color difference and the Argentine stuff was a bit darker and a little different shade.
 Get some good pics of the Argentine stuff to see the back and the end grain. That should tell you a lot about it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sieddy

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 04:22:32 pm »
Hi Pat thanks for the input. Argentinan Osage sounds like it could be really good. I imagine theres huge areas of the country that are wild and they certainly have an incredible diversity of climates! I have seen a few pics of the stave and it looks pretty clean but time will tell. I'll let you know if I get it then i'll be asking for lots of advice!  :)

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 04:36:10 pm »
I think Simpson in Bavaria uses some Hungarian osage, and his bows are beautiful--some of the best I have seen.  He can correct me if I am wrong about his source.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:13:04 pm »
Hi Jeff thanks for your input- thats what I was hoping that somebody would chip in and say 'yeah I use that great stuff all the time' or otherwise! :o
Anyway ive bought that wood now so i'll know soon enough and if I can create a bow half as good as any of Simsons then i'll be happy! :-)  cheers Simon