Author Topic: Kill anything with PVC?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Kill anything with PVC?
« on: December 25, 2015, 04:53:16 pm »
I was traipsing through the palio planet site and noticed a lot of pvc bows in the miscellaneous section.

I have a friend who has made dozens of these, they are surprisingly better shooters than one would expect.

Just wondering, has anyone killed a deer with a pvc bow?

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Kill anything with PVC?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »
No deer, but plenty of fish and a squirrel or two!

PVC is a great bow material ( I actually used it prior to making wooden ones) all you have to do is heat it up and flatten it and maybe add some recurves and a handle wrap and BOOM! you have a bow that will preform almost as well as a selfbow.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 11:34:47 pm by bowandarrow473 »
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 11:28:17 pm »
Got a grouse once. Theyre good for a little fun but they are all cast like a fly rod

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:55:13 am »
Never hunted with one, but I have a 50# mollegabet style one that I'm sure could get it done.

The best part about PVC is the speed at which you can crank them out. I made 10 in two days for a kid's birthday party so all the kids could shoot together. I let the the kiddies keep them if the parents okay-ed it.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 03:21:02 am »
A buddy got a spike a couple of years back with a 65# @28 PVC recurve, those things will fling an arrow, but I wouldn't say as good as a well made wood bow.  I guess I just don't like 'em.