Author Topic: Ash for arrows  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Lucasade

Ash for arrows
« on: November 29, 2015, 01:56:46 pm »
Last year the Council coppiced a load of ash trees by the side of the road in our village. They are now all growing back nicely. If I wanted to thin a few stems out (to help the rest grow of course), will I get better arrows from 1, 2 or whatever year old stems?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ash for arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:39:29 pm »
You'll always get better shoot arrows from at least 2nd year growth. The problem is that some species are too big by the end of the second year.  It won't hurt to try a few and see how they turn out.  I've made and shot doweled ash arrows but not ash shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:17:16 pm »
Sounds like I should grab a few this year and a few next year then and compare - thank you. It's for warbow arrows so big isn't necessarily a problem.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:37:00 pm »
If you keep an eye on them during the growing season you can remove unwanted limbs as they emerge in the spring and early summer. Remember, the shoot probably won't grow any longer, just more in diameter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 07:22:40 pm »
Split em naturally,and make 3/8" squares and go from there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 04:56:53 pm »
Sorry, just noticed your reply.

I've got half a dozen logs that I picked up when the loggers were doing the coppicing, about 4-5 inches diameter, that will be split down. I just thought using fresh growth would get me some more with less effort!