Author Topic: String follow question  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Lucasade

String follow question
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:11:29 pm »
I've nearly finished my first bow - lilac longbow for my four year old. It's pulling 15# @ 18" which is what I wanted, but it's gone from the string tracking pretty much down the centre to being off to the right as you look at the belly. I think I may have put some twist in while trying to steam out the inch of set it took while tillering (unsuccessfully - it went straight back when I put the string back on   :() but I'm not certain enough to start trying to get it out, but it would be simple enough to move one limb sideways a bit to get the string central as I think I've worked out where the sideways bend is happening. Alternatively I could scrape a bit off the appropriate limb edge, or just flip the bow and make it a near enough centre shot. However the last option seems like a cop out and I don't know what effect it will have on the bow long term.

Any thoughts on which is the best course of action please? Apart from this I've just got the finishing to do and it would be great to give it to him for Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:50:27 am by Lucasade »

Offline crooketarrow

Re: String follow question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:16:23 pm »

It's a 15# bow just line up tips with handle forget if a limb has stwist. It's a kids bow
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 03:44:14 am »
+1 and it's such a low weight it will be tricky to work.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:55:55 pm »
If the string is on the handle don't worry about it. I would not even give 1 inch of set a passing thought. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:42:32 pm »
It's not on the the handle any more - I think it will be getting a bit of steam this evening to move the limb over and even everything up again. The twist isn't an issue as I said, not least because I suspect the cure will more than likely make it worse!

I think you're right that I should have left it with the set before- another lesson learned!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 02:46:58 pm »
if the bow shoots and stays strung, the way it looks is not an issue,, only to your eye,, not the performance of the bow,,
how many bows I have ruined trying to make it look right when it shot good????

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »
All steamed up:

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/lucasade2/media/image_zpswnuidxvp.jpeg.html

I took the opportunity to scrape a couple of bumps out too so a sand and three coats of beeswax and I'll call it a bow I think.

I'm also going to call Photobucket and it's lack of interaction with iPads lots of rude names  >:(