Author Topic: design question?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline bushboy

Re: design question?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 05:51:49 am »
The stave started out with about 2" of deflex.i reflexed so the tips where around 4" infront of the back.the small recurve pulled out a little and rest 2" in front of the back
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 07:25:31 am »
Tiller and design look good, think I would call it a 'shooter' also.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 08:09:36 am »
I think I like willowleaf!thank's
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 08:24:15 am »
Sudbury could describe it too I guess....Regardless like said it's a shooter.If the length is under 64" that's a nice job on a good piece of wood.After it's heat treating it took about normal set losing half.I've got growing here what I think is red elm but could be american elm too.The wood here has a light brown heartwood.I thought american elm did'nt have that.The elm here I'm not that impressed with.It was quite a while ago but I gave a holmgaard design that was 62" long about 7" heat treatment reflex and through tillering it kept 1".It did'nt have enough working limb on it and not wide enough.I tillered it to 28" pulling about 50#.It eventually broke so I don't have a picture of it.Not because of how it was tillered but I had strapped that wet elm into reflex and as it was drying in the process the sharp edge of a 2"by 4"s' edge put a dent on it's back.That's where it broke even though I wrapped it too.Anyway nice job on your bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bushboy

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 07:20:52 am »
Yes thanks!the bow I 60-1/2" ntn,drawn to 26".the heart wood was dark brown and the sapwood had a yellow tinge to it.