Author Topic: Post pics of the Christmas Trade gift you recieved here  (Read 13672 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Post pics of the Christmas Trade gift you recieved here
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2016, 08:13:54 pm »
Bob, it's is a yew branch stave, i wrote a note but they often get lost in those big packages.
The arrow is a west coast style arrow, copied from TBB1. Cheers

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2016, 09:58:43 pm »
I received a package today from Kid Bow. Some knapping tools in a nice canvas bag and some preforms. Which I believe is obsidian? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I will get some pics up later. Just wanted to say thanks. I really like the kit it will be put to good use.
David
Near Dardanelle of Yell County Arkansas

Offline kid bow

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2016, 07:46:02 am »
I received a package today from Kid Bow. Some knapping tools in a nice canvas bag and some preforms. Which I believe is obsidian? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I will get some pics up later. Just wanted to say thanks. I really like the kit it will be put to good use.
David

Glad you liked it. It's all hand made antler tools and the reforms are of obsidian. I learned on those and had completely forgotten I had them. I'm glad you like it
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2016, 08:13:25 am »
Bob, it's is a yew branch stave, i wrote a note but they often get lost in those big packages.
The arrow is a west coast style arrow, copied from TBB1. Cheers
I found the note. I believe that the yew stave is going to make a sweet bow  . And the arrow is real nice. What wood is the arrow ? And you said you usually make sets of 3 arrows and give one away . Do you hunt with the other ones?

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2016, 09:14:54 am »
And also what wis the 953 on the stave . Is that when cut 95  3rd month?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2016, 11:46:35 am »
I got a box from Fed Arnold! Outstanding! Canned Venison, tallow, lard, bees wax, sinew, superglue and cane shafts and feathers phew that was a mouthful! I will try to get to the pics part later this afternoon.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »
 ;D I'll try to get pics later today. I received a long pkg in the mail yesterday from Looper. A Bamboo arrow shafts, turkey feathers, a block of Missouri osage, Horse rawhide, a beautiful leather bound hunting journal,a piece of Dall sheep horn, beaver tail grip wrap, and an aged osage bow blank from Tennessee. Looper you overdid it, thank you very much for such a great surprise.
Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline thomcout_96

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2016, 02:04:33 pm »
I really though they wherre bullets Jeff  ;) Thanks for telling me the essence of the shafts and I wil do my best to make great arrows out of them  8)

Offline son of massey

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2016, 07:08:32 pm »
So glad you are happy with the box sleek, I was a tad worried it didn't pass muster and that is why you hadn't spoken up.

I don't know my obsidian that well, but I think I remember being told when I got it that it was tiger stripe, but mahogany may well be the appropriate term. There was some flint, and some agate, and I think there were a few bits of basalt in there as well-it is really fine grained and black.

The turds aren't actual literal rabbit droppings-I may have been unclear-it is a duraflame fire starter material (I think its essentially sawdust in a wax type suspension) that I break down into those tiny balls and call rabbit turds. The box suggests using a 6x2x3 block as a starter, but I find that those huge chunks break down into LOTS of those starters and if you are halfway decent at building a fire that is more than good enough. Herbivore droppings have been used the same way as these though.

Again, huge relief you are happy with the rock, etc. Hope to see that ka-bar, or whatever you put out.

SOM
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:14:54 pm by son of massey »

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2016, 01:04:59 pm »
Received a package from Sleek.  Got an awesome fire piston.  I Tried to make one a few years back and had no luck, so I am excited to put it to use.  He also sent a couple jars of bbq sauce.  They will go great with the ribs we are smoking today.  Thanks Sleek!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline sleek

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2016, 01:12:49 pm »
Very relieved they survived. I hope it all suites you. The leather they were wrapped in is sheep skin. I bought it as surplus from a coat factory. Real soft stuff.

Let me know please what you think of the sauce. I try to make it thicker than most so it doesnt run off into the fire. Im worried i got this batch a little thin. You may wish to add more honey to the one depending on your taste. I like a smooth gentle lavor some prefere it more strong.

If ever you want more let me know. I am happy to make it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2016, 02:36:08 pm »
Here is another picture of the fire piston on the sheep skin.  I like that you can store the char clothe in the bottom compartment and not have to have a second container. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline sleek

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2016, 03:16:56 pm »
I sent enough cloth that should last you quite a bit. It doesnt take much. Just a square that is as deep as the hole is the piston. Role it between your fingers and suff it in there. Then insert the piston into the cylinder past the o ring. Set the red cap end up with the piston ron against a hard surface, and using your weight for power and muscles for speed, a quick jab downward aught to set the cloth to an ember.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2016, 05:20:37 pm »
That fire piston is nice.  I never knew I wanted one until now.  Nice work Sleek.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2016, 11:30:27 am »
I am away from home, but I am told I got an real nice cutting board and knife set from Thomas Cout.   I hope I got the name right. I promise to post pics I a week when I get home.  I hope Thomas gives some details?   The way my son described it, is the knife Damascus???  What kind of wood is the board?

Thank you Thomas.   Merry Xmas.   

Russ