Author Topic: Viking table top zig zag sewing machine.  (Read 5917 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Viking table top zig zag sewing machine.
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:25:17 pm »
This might be a hard trade here because of shipping.Have to be within driving distance.It's a step above your home versions.It sews brain tan & canvas easily.Made many a fur hat with it.In excellent condition.Been through it all checking it out.Maybe someone can use it.I've got a back up machine,so I don't need it.The value on it is around 150.00 dollars.I've owned it for close to 20 years and have taken very good care of it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Viking table top zig zag sewing machine.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:30:06 pm »
I wish we lived closer, Ed. I've been thinking getting a sewing machine for leather. Does this one have a walking foot?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 12:18:22 am »
Where abouts do you live? Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:17:36 am »
The table alone is worth that much. I'd  also be interested if your close enough.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 06:25:04 am »
Ed is a Hawkeye fella's.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:38:27 am »
Nice pc of machinery!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 08:32:30 am »
Pat... yes the foot brings the material along.I hope that's what you mean.A person can adjust the width of the zig zag or sew in a straight line to any to different spacing.Back in the day it was the sewing machine to have.A very upstanding name in sewing machines.Still is really.A person takes care of them and they'll last.
I'm right by the Iowa/Missouri border central.70 miles straight south of Des Moines,Iowa.I'm in no hurry to get rid of it and sometime I could bring it to a bow gathering too.
Yep Pearly were going to the Rose Bowl.....yipee!!!!!!I'm afraid Stanford will be a formidable opponent.Would'nt have it any other way.If they can play like they usually can it'll be a great football game.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 08:36:38 am »
Oh I paid 400 for it back in the 80's.It does'nt owe me a thing.Just so it goes to someone who can get a good use out of it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 08:43:57 am »
I'm in central Nebraska. Have to figure a way to haul it though. I have an old Thompson miniwalker straight stitch and would love to have that as an addition.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 08:56:30 am »
Fred...I'll have to look that one up of yours.I'd say we're about 6 hours apart for sure.I'd be willing to meet someone half way too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:34:55 am »
I'm not really sure if that's quite what my friend is looking for. I told him about it and he isn't sure either. He is wanting a sewing machine to sew leather for holsters.

If I had more room I would come get it from you asap for myself. I live down by springfield MO
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:36:58 am »
Yes that Thompson should sew you some brain tan too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 10:43:26 am »
Like two 1/4" thick pieces of leather for holsters?I'd say that's pushing it for this machine I've got.Would'nt reccommend it.Like I said this machine is a step above semi industrial machine above the home model dress making machines.Springfield is about 7 hours.I know this because I used to coonhunt a lot down by West Plains MO. and Mammoth Springs Arkansas.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 12:08:35 pm »
The Thompson is an excellent  machine on heavy product. Straight stitch only though.  Good for leather, vinyl, and canvass. I purchased it new in the mid 80's.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »
Yes Fred I looked yours up.There are different numbers of course but your machine will do everything and possibly more as far as thickness goes as this Viking.You got a nice machine there.
BowEd
Ed