Author Topic: backing a thin ringed osage.  (Read 4094 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: backing a thin ringed osage.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 12:37:29 pm »
i used to back alot of bows,,, just because I liked the way it looked,, very nice to put art work on etc,, and It can add protection for harsh use,, I agree optional most the time,, but sometimes if the back is compromised,, it could make a difference in the success of a bow,, Pope and Young liked to back their bows and stated they had a higher success rate when they did so,, their bows were heavy,, and the rawhide may have had a positive effect on wood that was under more strain,,or a lesser quality wood??? if you have alot of experience easy to tell if needed or not,,but if in doubt,, it will not hurt to back one,, and it is beautiful,, :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 12:39:38 pm »
If you see no need to back osage, odds are you have never used osage that needed a back :) 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Rob W.

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 09:16:31 pm »
Really the only reasons I was thinking about backing it was the thin rings and how rough on stuff I am while hunting. I will finish the season with it and decide later.

Thanks for all of the input.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 08:34:52 am »
If its not violated beyond repair, you don't need a back. If you cant get a clean back, it needs help.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 08:38:46 am »
Honestly most of the time I don't think it needs it but if I needed to make me feel better mentally while pulling it back I'll do it no questions asked.