Author Topic: Off the hand  (Read 6493 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Off the hand
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 11:58:17 am »
Howdy,   I normally shoot off the hand, so I'll add my two cents.  Hand placement becomes automatic.  I can't say how much practice it takes, but it happens.  Of course by the time it becomes instinctive there will be a wear mark on your bow, so that may be part of it.  You can add a maker's mark at the arrow pass, or add an insert.  ( As an aside, I point out the the dadoe for the insert removes far more wood than years of wear could.)  Handle shape may also influence consistent hand placement.  A handle wrap gives a good visual and tactile feedback to aid hand placement.  A more shapely grip with a  "pistol grip" will guide the hand to the same place time after time.  I often add a nocking point to the string, but unless you shoot three fingers under, the mark need be nothing more than a very thin wrap of bright thread.  ie. a visual mark and not a thickened bead.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers