Author Topic: 12x16 workshop space?  (Read 5934 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
12x16 workshop space?
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:53:56 am »
The Wife has laid down the law ... "Get your workshop outta the garage!"
Sooooooo, am looking at alternative shed sizes.

While 16x16 seems ideal for me needs, that large a structure seems bit too much for our backyard. And price tag is bit more than this penny-pinchin' oldster is excited to part with. 12x16 is more palatable in terms of pocketbook and seems a better fit for our property. It will house ONLY me woodworking stuff ... no mowers, gardening tools, hoses, etc, etc. Likely just a single door and couple windows to break up wall space.

Tools are fairly limited.
   8' workbench
   some kind of small heater
   belt sander stand
   drill press stand (on wheels)
   bit of wood storage
   smallish table saw (on wheels)
   tillering tree - of course!
   smallish assembly table (on wheels)
   scroll saw stand
   shop vac
   rocking chair!
   trash box
That's purty much it.

Any gut feelings or experience with shop space of this size or recommends to make it doable/enjoyable would be appreciated!!

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 12x16 workshop space?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:25:04 am »
Some of the prefab garden buildings might work for you or like Steve Parnell a used shipping container would work. With the shipping container you can add a shed roof to one side to double your space.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:28:09 am »
Hedgeapple has a nice shop about that size.  He has an extended section of his work bench that his vise is attached to.  I like that set up. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:32:16 am »
^ that's pretty cool

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:33:10 am »
^Needs better beers....lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 10:58:07 am »
Mine is about 12 x 14. Perfect for two, but three can work just fine also. I have a 4 x 8 bench in the middle but pushed up against a 10' wall.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:25:40 pm »
Ywelve by sixteen is the Taj  Mahal compared to what i use in bad weather, I'm sey up outdoors when the weather is good, right now about ten months a year
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 12:36:41 pm »
Given the unseasonably warm weather we've had this year, I could do things outside for 10 months too. But sumpin tells me better not plan on it.   :'(

Oh yeah, also gonna put 4x16 covered porch on front of it. And fridge would be good. Home sweet home!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:43:36 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 01:10:48 pm »
And a bunk for when she decides that it 'is' a good place for the lawn mower >:D >:D

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:22:48 pm »
Years ago I had a shed 8' wide by 20' long.  The cieling was sloped from 9' to 8'.  It would of made a great bowyers shed but not good for doing much else like cutting full size panels.
At any rate the good thing about that size is the plywood is 4x8 so it makes it cheaper to build.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 09:23:22 pm »
If and when I ever get to build a dedicated bow shop I'm going to install a garage door and have a concrete slab outside of it.  I have my band saw and belt sander on wheels.  I want to be able to wheel them outside and shut the door when I use them.  That would keep a lot of dust out of the bow shop.

Keep us updated on your building project.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 09:49:25 pm »
I just need enough room for a cot. Keep that in mind :)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 10:46:57 pm »
There'll be loft space with your name whittled on a plaque.

Offline Loope

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 10:51:28 pm »
Storage in the roof trusses could help with space.  I would love to have a removable vise setup in my shop... concrete in a large diameter pipe flush with the floor and use that as a socket for another pipe that has the vise mounted on.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 07:41:20 am »
Mike id make it a similar size as the Pavilion at Marshall so we all have enough room to work when you invite us all over and throw big lavish bowyer parties!!!  8)