Author Topic: a great clamp for tillering  (Read 3493 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
a great clamp for tillering
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:27:19 pm »
This might be of some interest....
Don't know if any of you have tried this clamp, but this thing works great! especially when clamping a flip-tip bow
at the handle when they like to flip to one side or the other when tillering. It can be adjusted for just the right tension in a couple seconds.
You just push up the lever to lock it into place.

you can find them at fine woodworking supply outlets.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: a great clamp for tillering
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:38:24 pm »
nice :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:52:33 pm »
Yea that's looks slick.Right now I use a big C clamp to hold highly reflexed bows on the tree when long stringing.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:56:37 pm »
that is sweet! been looking for something other than just "hope it stays on there" . lol Tony

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:27:54 pm »
  I have the same set up. I had a different clamp set up for years and years.                                                               

But at a friend that builds wood working projects. I saw these clamps used. He said thats what you need on your tillering tree.

That was 10,12 years ago. I made a wider end, base ( 4 x 1)
inchs. Holds the bow much more solider.

You have a small adjustment on the end to where you can lock it down.

I just make sure when I put in the handle The back of the handles a little flat. For lock down of my 4x1 peice I made for the swivel end of the clamp.

Works 100% of the time every bow. Like someone said works great on those bows like to turn around.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:07:42 pm »
What is it called? I had one flipping around the other day and was wondering wth was up with thAT. I havent had it happen on any of my other R/D bows. Most of my bows dont have much deflex at all, I just flip the tips, the last one I made had a little more deflex than I usually put in it so that must have been it. I will definitely be getting one. Cool discovery thanks!
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:15:01 pm »
  I also made the front wood peice you see,adjustable also so I have it clamped in from the side. CAMP DOWN AND CLAPED IN.

SUPER TIGHT.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 05:00:13 am »
Personally I think a clamp is a bad idea. IMO it's better to let the bow move as it does when it's in your hand so it shows the balance between the limbs.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline cadet

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 06:21:23 am »
Handy tool to work on some bows, I s'pose, if they're giving some grief, but in my limited experience, I'm with del: I like them to be able to move; most of mine bend in the handle, too.  I had one today that I wouldn't have spotted a problem if it had been clamped.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 06:27:37 am »
I agree to an extent, Del, but there are reliable ways to reveal the dynamic limb balance with the handle immobilized. Most don't though.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 06:39:44 am »
Cool idea if you use the board for long string tillering, I use a tiller stick until the bow is ready for bracing. I only use the board after the bow is braced, at least low brace so don't really have an issue with them flipping they are usually pretty stable by then.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 10:37:08 am »
Yea, like pappy said.  I think it would work great for long string tillering on d/r or flipped tip bows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 10:49:32 am »
That will work fine until the bow is braced. After that you shouldn't need it because the string tension will hold the bow on the tree as long as both limbs are close.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC