Author Topic: Wood Glue..........  (Read 2388 times)

Offline chamookman

Wood Glue..........
« on: December 07, 2015, 04:13:14 am »
Just found a Coffee Cup that I'd set aside and forgotten about. Completely wood - the handle broke off at the cup itself. What do You Folks suggest for a strong bond ? Thanks - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wood Glue..........
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:10:44 am »
Bob I'd put metal pins in each part and use most any good wood glue like TBIII, Unibond or other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 01:19:05 pm »
Hard part with slow set glue is keeping it in place while it dries, Bobert. I think TB3 would be best, but a quality CA glue will work faster.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 04:23:17 am »
Thanks Guys ! Anyone ever try the Gorrilla Brand glue ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:33:44 am »
Nope. Loc Tite Pro is all I use.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:27:44 am »
I think Gorilla makes several types of glue, but I probably wouldn't use their brown polyurethane based glue for your application.  It's activated by water and bubbles up to fill gaps.  It holds very well, but every time I've used it, some seeps out and the glue line is pretty noticeable. It's probably something I'm doing wrong, but when gluing wood to wood, I've had better results with Titebond.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:50 pm »
Do I have it correct? A wooden coffee cup? ???
New one for me. I like two part epoxies mostly
for mending things. If it's a wooden cup do you wash it?
That would make a difference for what type glue?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 09:56:28 pm »
Loc Tite for me, too. then seal it by rubbing in some Poly with your inger around the repair.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 04:51:43 am »
Yes it's all wood. Part of a kit I got many years ago - 12" plate - noggin - cup. Never had anything but water or coffee in, just gets rinsed out. Thanks Guys ! Bob

Offline Marks

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 04:15:25 pm »
Gorilla glue expands 3-4 times as it dries. I wouldn't think it would be great for that. I use it when gluing something in a hole or something with gaps to fill. I glued a broke antler tine on with it on a shed I found. worked well enough but you will likely have some seep out.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:35:34 am »
Thanks ! Bob