Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Short elm preview

<< < (5/6) > >>

Badger:
   Pat, to be fair to the current generation of flight archers we are playing by slightly different rules. The elevated rests and vanes they were using make a huge difference in distance. I agree that holding the profile is critical, if the wood can stand up to it and the tillering is good he will have a good bow. It is a well proven design. I have built several bows that have a capablitiy of 500 yards, it is really not that big of a trick. Getting the arrow out clean and keeping it straight is the big trick.

I had one las year I was practing with, not a flight bow just a run of the mill osage abow about 66" long. I got an arrow out very close to 400 yards because the flight was so clean. It just so happens that the string didn't line up very well on this bow and the arrow was about 1 1/2" to the right of the handle, there was a huge jump in the distances when elevated rests and fortisan fletches started being used.

joachimM:
Steve, can you explain about the elevated rests?
Thx

Badger:
    An elevated rest is collapseable. Feathers, long hair, brushes etc would all fall into the elevated rest category. I am in favor of allowing any natural material for a rest in the all wood division, changes are hard out of respect for past record holders. I don't see it that way, I believe if a rule is unduly holding back distances it should be changed and the sooner the better but thats just me and I respect the other opinions as well.

Marc St Louis:
If you want some sinew Pat just let me know, I have plenty

P.S. I agree completely Steve

PatM:
Thanks. I appreciate that. I'll pm my addy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version