Author Topic: What to wear in Pickstown, South Dakota around December 30?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
What to wear in Pickstown, South Dakota around December 30?
« on: December 07, 2015, 11:29:41 pm »
Diego may be going pheasant hunting in Pickstown, SD, around December 30. Since he's almost a teenager and cool he's thinking he won't be able to "walk" layered up. I need some advice please on how he should dress especially on "snow boots."

Also about 35 degrees is rather unbearable to us southern folk.

Thank you in advance  :)
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

Re: What to wear in Pickstown, South Dakota around December 30?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:07:45 am »

S. Dakota, is only a few degrees warmer than N. Dakota.  My advice is to put on every pair of wool shirt, pants, socks, and full face cover, Alaskan muklucks, and all this covered by a north sea, survival suit.  The one who can help you is J.W. . He lives in Vapid, I mean rapid city, S. Dakota.  He would be the one to ask, for that time of year.  Good luck on the hunt.  Bring home a bunch of those Chinese Chickens, and tell Mama, the men are bringing home the food again, and to get the glass dome ready, for "Pheasant under glass".  Pm. J.W.  Again, good luck.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 07:48:59 pm »
That is RANCID CITY, buddy!  Get it right.

To begin with, tell him to start adjusting to the season by being active outdoors with as little as he can wear. Today I skinned a deer at 50 degrees and it got too warm to wear even the tshirt I had on!  Get him a good wool cap and wool sox.  Teach him to lace his shoes JUST tight enough to keep them from flopping...tight shoes means less blood flow and thus frozen feet.  And from there, be sure his upper torso has something that wicks moisture just in case he gets worked up and breaks a sweat.  Cold is one thing, wet is another, but cold and wet is waaaay bad!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 09:49:41 pm »
I think Jw has it right.
A few things I might add. Make sure you have some water close to keep hydrated.
Your dog breed will determine a lot when it comes to overheating. You will be less likely
to get overheated with close working pointers as you will with dogs that track and flush.
A phone in case of emergency (god forbid) But for weather too. I have seen blizzards
blow in from no where near Bismark ND. Oh and don't forget a lighter or matches
and a game pouch for all the tasty birds. LOl
Happy hunting Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 09:52:49 pm »
If he can afford it, get a pair of Therma Cell shoe warmers. Just like the mosquito repeller, best thing that happened to low south people for cold weather.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:56:37 pm »
JW,Zuma and Eddie,
That's good advice anywhere it's good and cold. not just the Dakotas  :) ;).
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 11:12:39 pm »
Dang,  I moved away from NE to CA so I wouldn't have worry about such things.  If he can I suggest "Layering"  The ability to shed a layer while working out and then put back on when quiet makes life more comfy.  Loose boots to allow cushy wool socks.   I always liked big wool mittens for hunting.  It was easier to remove the mitten (just a flick of the wrist) than to try and fit a gloved finger into the triggerguard.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 09:58:00 am »
Wool. Wool is wonderful. Good socks, and good shoes. As long as my feet are warm I am good to go.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.