Author Topic: First Miss in a long time  (Read 5678 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: First Miss in a long time
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 03:29:57 am »
What Pappy said.  When your shooting at target from the ground, your arrow is pretty much at 90 degrees of your body and parallel to the ground.  Your aim sight is straight with the arrow.  You need to keep the arrow and your body at that 90 degree angle by bending at the waist.   If you just drop your bow arm, your anchor point changes angle and the sight picture will be straight on, but the arrow is going to be point high.  If you have time an opportunity, start your pre-draw straight out in front of you, then bend at the waist until the deer is in target, THEN draw your bow.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 02:08:37 pm »
I pretty much have the bend at the waist thing figured out having bow hunted out of trees for the last 35 years. I have killed more deer with a selfbow than all my wheel and recurve kills combined.

Here is my practice range, I shoot from 16ft up off a platform on the deck, and yes, I bend at the waist to shoot.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:12:41 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 03:04:10 pm »
That's a great practice range Eric

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 05:11:18 pm »
Some of those deer are 35 years old, I keep patching them and shooting them. I have 16 more 3D targets in the basement most bought shot up for $20 or less after big tournaments and repaired by me.

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »
Wow that's awesome, I have never seen a practice range like that. Fun!

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 08:53:59 pm »
Eric, I think you just missed. It does happen some times its all part of hunting with a bow. I missed this week also. I hit a branch trying to shoot through a small hole, it kicked the arrow high and it landed over her back. I was just tickled it wasn't stuck in back haunch. Gotta love bowhunting

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 11:25:47 pm »

I and many other self bow hunters on here know. (25 years for me and 40 selfbow bucks). If thats your first miss in a long time. You need to get out more.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PeteC

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 08:16:31 pm »
My hands up in the air. I've missed low.....and high. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 01:48:15 pm »
  Heck I can't remmeber how many dogwood arrows I've lost because of miss's. I've lost 6 or 7 bucks 3 with chert tips. That sucks.

I missed 4 bucks still hunting standing corn in 25,30 mph winds. In 9 windy hunts in 3 years with a bow. But that 5 th buck was 5 1/2 ,228#, 128 ,8 point killed in his bed, arrowed with a texas chert head on a dogwood arrow. 64" osage 61# @26.

My biggest chert tip kill 4 other bucks and 4 gobblers with all types of knapped heads. Used osidin on the gobblers. 

I prefer texas chert. FOR HEADS ,EXTURE HARD BUT FAIRLY SHAPE.

If you've never still hunted standing corn durning windy days.

Really easy to do.  Start on the down windest cornern. WALK UP ENDGE now faceing in the wind just step in poke you head through look both ways. Go all the way thru walk back around 50 yards father than you started. repeat,repeat go all the way through to the far end.

Any obstruction hay,rocky hill side any break in the corn any thing different bucks will bed exspecially hill sides. I've killed 4 bucks with a bow,ghillie ,corn,wind.

I've stalked and rifle,ML,shot gun killed And a pistiol miss at a 140's buck running down a corn row 30 yards. I killed 7 or 8 bucks in the standing corn with a gun.

Give it a try CROOKETARROW showed me this. He still hunted 98% of the time. It get above a breeze. I'd know where to go. I used a ghillie I made  to gobbler hunt in,in 82. A ghillie in the vorn 25 mph winds.

We'd go the witer before and but up stands on excape routes. This worked resally good on mature bucks trying to sneak out the back door.

He'd just where his old drap close. He beleived in smokeing and always burn a little fire of hickory and ceder to stand in.

He told me it's just traditional. I alway use the wind anyways.

Here's what he did. YOU HAVE TO SEE THE DEER FIRST. He'sput hiself in the way of feeding deer SEE it. Then stalk a place where he can let the deer feed by him. After he pass's you he' focased only to his front, not whats behind him. SHOOT HIM QUARTERING AWAY.

Same way I set up on bucks and gobblers today. Try setting up with your back to the on comeing gobbler. Besides being 10 yards from 4,5,6 yeaar old bucks.

Haveing a gobbler going off 10 yards behind you. It's wow, blow your mind when he walks past you and you arrow him a 10 yards.

Have you seen some of the old arrows, knaped heads,bows I'D STARVE TO DEATH. But one thing they set up the same, down wind, let the animal pass you.

It's picture taking time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING