Author Topic: in a pinch  (Read 1954 times)

Offline sleek

in a pinch
« on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:57 pm »
My truck computer just sent south on me. Im searching all the local salvage yards but with no luck. If anyone can find a 2000 dodge 1500 5.9 litre 2 wheel drive computer at a salvage for me id sure make it worth your time. Im supposed to visit my moms side of the family next week. So timing here sucks.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Zuma

Re: in a pinch
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:49:26 pm »
I feel for ya sleek.
My 1986, 360 one ton Ram had puter problems constantly.
They were the small cheap ones.
I went to Chevy and just had my mechanic tell me I needed
a new puter. $450 later and no change to the problem.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »
A quick search and I see several online for just under $200. Are you sure it's the computer?
Trevor

Offline Blob

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:46 pm »
My truck computer just sent south on me. Im searching all the local salvage yards but with no luck. If anyone can find a 2000 dodge 1500 5.9 litre 2 wheel drive computer at a salvage for me id sure make it worth your time. Im supposed to visit my moms side of the family next week. So timing here sucks.

Assuming yours is a Automatic with Federal emissions, I see one here: clementssalvage.com (which I don't believe is too far from you) for $125.

If you need any other assistance give me a call.   Auto Parts is what my real job is.

Offline le0n

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:21:34 pm »
i'll type this twice because of how important it is (for any vehicle).

check your grounds.

check your grounds.

it is rarely the ECM/ECU (computer)

start with the main negative cable from your battery and work your way around the engine bay. remove, clean with sand paper and reinstall all of them.

i've even had one of our vehicles give a EEPROM error code (mechanics said it needs a new computer). it was running like dog **** and i limped it all the way home. it was misfiring so badly that the exhaust manifold was almost glowing because of the fuel getting dumped and ignited in the exhaust.

i decided to go back to the fundamentals stuff and upon inspecting, i found a loose ground wire that was coming from a harness to the intake manifold. the bolt was finger tight so i removed it and cleaned it with a rag. reinstalled it and the car fired up and ran perfectly for another three years until we sold it.

what are the symptoms?