Author Topic: Introduction and question.  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Rob W.

Introduction and question.
« on: December 06, 2015, 09:43:25 pm »
Hello everyone. I can't remember if I have ever posted but I check in here regularly and have always enjoyed the wealth of info. Over the years I have had my ups and downs building selfbows. I have hunted glass bows for the last 8 or so years and I think it's time to get serious about building some selfbows.

Recently I have built my wife a nice little osage and myself a hickory bow. A buddy and I have also gained access to cut some nice osage and we worked most of the day cutting and splitting.

My question is how long will this stuff take to dry? I can put it in the house if that will help. We sealed the ends and split into staves. Some staves are pretty big. Also there were some nice straight saplings. Any special treatment for those? I appreciate the help.

Rob W.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Introduction and question.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:50:13 pm »
Welcome!  That is a fine looking piece of osage you have there.  It wouldn't hurt to seal the ends another time or two on your staves.  If you remove the bark and sapwood make sure to seal the back of the staves like you did the ends.  You could take a stave down to rough bow dimensions and bring it in the house.  Be careful.  Trying to quick dry osage can lead to checking and warping. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Rob W.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:02:10 pm »
Thanks Osage Outlaw.

It should make some good bows. How long would you think it would take for it to dry in my garage? I'm in Indiana.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:21:59 pm »
      I rough mine out green any time I don't have something dry to work on. Osage should be good to finish about 1 month later if you bring the roughed out bow in the house. I usually get mine to floor tiller about two weeks after roughing out. Osage seems to improve with age but is still a great wood when not really seasoned as well as you might want to season it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:03 pm »
A fellow Hoosier.  What part of the state are you in?  I'm in the S.E. corner.  There are a few guys from Indiana on here.

Offline Rob W.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 11:06:12 pm »
I'm in dubois county but I'm from and hunt in Crawford co.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 11:41:50 pm »
Well it looks like you found some good osage over there.  That one is still holding a lot of sap for this late in the year. 

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 07:41:42 am »
Welcome to pa!!! Looks like your starting out the right way...OSAGE!!!

Id rough a few down to bow blanks n carefully dry em out so they can be ready to work in a couple months...it might not be as good as seasoned wood imho but itll still make a decent bow,and will be good to learn on. Have fun!!! ;)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:19:00 am »
Badger gave you the key.  Small staves dry fast, big staves dry slow.  The smaller the stave the more likely it is to warp or twist, so I restrain all small wood while drying.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 05:25:34 pm »
Thats one hell of a log and one great pile of Staves! I look forward to seeing what you make of em!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:30:20 pm »
thats a gold mine, nice,, well guess what I know how hard you worked to get that,, probably ruined some saw blades for sure,, I like Badgers advice,, congrats on some nice wood, I see some bows in there,,  :)

Offline steve b.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 08:20:57 am »
Lucky.

Offline Rob W.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 07:07:13 pm »
Thanks guys! We didn't attempt to tackle this one. Waiting until the ground freezes to get truck closer. We took those first logs out by hand across a sloppy cow pasture. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 08:54:19 pm »
Now is the time to cut osage.  No bugs, no heat, less sap flowing, and they won't check as quickly.

Offline Rob W.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 09:18:57 pm »
Here is a straight one.