Author Topic: Crysal fix  (Read 3038 times)

Offline LittleBen

Re: Crysal fix
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 11:53:16 am »
Tiller is the cause of your problem as much as the pin knot.

My very general recommendation when tillering is this. Don't ever draw the bow more than necessary to see where to scrape.

Until those outer 2/3 of both limbs are working you're gonna get fretting.

You could try to repair them, but I would tiller it out better first.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 12:16:28 pm »
   This is a easy fix.

SLOW DOWN WHEN THE TILLERING STARTS.

I was self taught for 10 years before I met CROOKETARROW.

Heres what he ment by saying SLOW DOWN.

Naturally just slow down look at your bow from all side as you tiller. There's no hurry.

But mainly after you do your tillering a little at a time. Leaveing it over night then next morning each time.

Your fresh you can see where you need to retiller places from last night.

DO THIS YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT CRYSALS

Good tillering means no crysals.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 12:33:37 pm »
I've had this one sitting in the shame corner for 4-5 months now as a specific reminder to go slow (and to ask on here).

I was using a photo  app to draw a curve on the bow and it looked good (to me) every inch to full draw. I think that step misled me a bit. There also might of been a bit too much moisture  in it. After tempering I had to re tiller again, and It might not have equalized with moisture. Anyhow, I definitely don't want to make those mistakes again.

I have since moved on to other projects (with success), and I am going super slow with my tiller.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 12:58:16 pm »
I think the reason a photo app,, may not work all the time,, is the stave can have some reflex and deflex that needs to work evenly,, the taper when kept perfect, may not fit a pre fab line,, every bow is slightly different on a stave bow,,

Offline randman

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 09:37:17 pm »
I don't think crysals on OS are as big an issue as they are on other types of wood and one thing I do know is you don't have to worry about OS "exploding". I've used lots of OS and broken lots intentionally and none "exploded". The grain is so interlocked that it just kind of shreds and bends when it goes. Takes a lot of work to get it to break.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »
My take....
That first photo suggests that stave is about to fold in on itself like closing a book. The second one confirms it.
I had that happen on the first bow I tried to make for my brother...Lord rest him.
It happens.
Time to start another.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!