Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Harry Drake record yew bow

<< < (8/11) > >>

PatM:
How about an award for 600 with any weight of primitive bow? Harry might have been dreaming a bit with the 50 pound 600 yard bow.

Badger:
  Harrry was not out of line with that goal. It is a bit lofty but not unrealistic. A perfect shot at about 300 fps could get you 300 yards. We can get the 300 fps right now from 50lb bows and very light arrows. I would imagine a turkish bow with a 28" or longer draw using a short arrow could easily attain the needed speed.

PatM:
I thought horn bows didn't work in low weights? ;)

redhawk55:
A hornbow will never match 300f/s at max.50lbs.
Oh Harry youŽll make me sleepless nights when challenging us with that 600yards at max. 50lbs!
These are really inspiring distances, IŽm up for it!
Michael

sumpitan:
Thanks for the Drake quotes, Avcase!

This type of mail-in flight shooting would of course not fly (heh), as far as the record books are concerned, then as now. In any given sport, there is private practice and then there are the sanctioned tournaments. This gives even more weight to the achievements of Homer Prouty, who shot a distance of 478 yards with a 76# Oregon yew recurve, in August 1933, at the 53rd Annual Tournament of the National Archery Association in St Louis, Missouri. He won all four of the hand bow classes using similar-style yew recurves, with a shortest winning shot of 344 yards, using a 46-pound bow in the 50# class.  All this at a very early date, right on the heels of the first papers published by Hickman, Nagler, Klopsteg et al.

In 1939, Ken Wilhelm shot a public, well-witnessed, County Surveyor-measured, yet non-Tournament distance of 579 yards using a hand bow. No details on the bow, but given the date I'm pretty sure no bow bellies in plastic etc. there. A sinew backing is possible, to give room for Drake's all-wood shot of some 39 yards less, six years later.

Tuukka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version