Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Harry Drake record yew bow

<< < (7/11) > >>

avcase:
Here's some more info from Drake's letters:

Drake wrote: "Took up archery in 1938. In 1940 made my first shots over 400 yards. Self recurves Osage (short stubby recurves) self made. 75 lbs. Finally reached 482 with it. Accurately measured."

Alan

Badger:
  That was great Allen, that is what I feel we should be shooting with 70# bows. I wonder how many practice arrows he would shoot in a year?

redhawk55:
Thanx Alan, I guess "stubby" means sharp recurves?
Any info on the arrows?
Michael

avcase:
I hope these distances are inspiring. They are certainly realistic. Harry favored Douglas fir for his wood arrows over port Orford cedar. Length was 23" for the Osage self bow.  The fletched may have been acetate, but horn works just as well.   

String was probably linen.

Alan

avcase:
In 1993, Harry Drake was obsessed with perfecting the Turkish flight bow and had a personal goal of for himself to reach 600 yards with a 50-lb primitive bow.  It was a rare unrealized goal for him, but will surely be worth celebrating when someone does manage to rise to the challenge. I would like to establish a special trophy and recognition for the first to do this. Anyone up for it?

Drake was around 80 years old at the time, so that should give most of us some time. Hahaha!

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version