Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Harry Drake record yew bow

<< < (4/11) > >>

PatM:
If I'm not mistaken I think that bow actually cracked in the fade where the overdraw is notched in.

redhawk55:
Not sure about a cracking.
I think he has tried different ways of arrow- rests, glued them and removed them.
Anybody has made a yew- bow without sapwood?
Michael

PatM:
The pictures from the listing showed a few more angles and the crack starting at the upper part of the notch was quite apparent.

Badger:
  I have built some yew bows without sapwood, never with the big hooks. Nex time I may try that. Nearly all of my yew bows have come out to be nice bows but I have never gotten anything I would call exceptional from one. I usually end up going with something osage.

avcase:
I'm still looking through old documents. There is one bow that Harry Drake described numerous times in his letters that unofficially cast an arrow 504 yards in 1950. The bow is described as being made from some excellent yew provided by Earl Ulrich, with ears and handle splices similar to Turkish flight bows. It was backed with cattle back strap sinew and used straight hide glue. The bow was faced with "Miller's Toxhorn", which was some kind of plastic material substituted for horn. The bow was 40" long nock-to-nock and had a draw weight of 50-lb with a 23" long flight arrow. Arrow weight was "around 138 grains". The bow had no overdraw, but a feather rest was used, "set sidewise into the handle". The release was a 4-finger plastic block.

Quote from Harry Drake: "I made 6 shots with the bow. With all that creaking and popping going on, no more that 6 arrows were gingerly cast. I wonder what I would have got with that bow if I had ignored the noise and continued shooting the bow?  Generally, you don't get your best distance in the first 6 arrows with a new bow."

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version