Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Harry Drake record yew bow

<< < (3/11) > >>

PatM:
I think you just need to reverse engineer it. At least we have some info and the gaps could be filled in after at least executing the known factors.
 Looking at Drakes early laminated static flight bows  with their aluminum overdraw rests gives other hints as to what sort of draw versus arrow length was typical in that era.

Badger:
  I would probably go for a 21" arrow with a 26" draw. At 21" I can get good stiffness and low weight from a relatively dense piece of wood. About 15 years ago I built an ipe shorty at about 100# maybe a tad more. I mounted it on a crossbow and shot an 18" purple heart arrow. I never got an exact measure on it but I am pretty sure it exceeded 500 yards.

PatM:
Ipe  with backing?  I honestly think a strong guy could just hand shoot a crossbow prod type bow and exceed the records.
 Draw weights for hand held bows back then seemed to max out at under 100 pounds for whatever reason.
  Hill's 170 pound  record being the exception but its distance was mediocre.

redhawk55:
Thanx a lot for your replies.
This seems to be a very similiar bow: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/30411/t/Impressive-1930-s-flight-bow.html#.VmQM8abXJ-g
It is made by the above mentioned Homer Prouty, outstanding!!!!  Yew without the sapwood, no backing. Can't believe that.
As usually, it is all about a more than perfect piece of wood and a much more perfect tiller- job.
Let's go for a try.,
Michael

Del the cat:
Woo, nice bend on those hooks :)
The cutaway for the  arrow pass looks a tad experimental, like it's evolved to do the job which is to be expected I s'pose.
Del

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version