Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Harry Drake record yew bow

(1/11) > >>

redhawk55:
Is there any pic of Harry Drake's yew bow available?
No results when searching by google and........................
Michael

Badger:
  I would love to see that bow, Harry Drake always gave credit to the fantastic piece of yew he used for that. I think it was a matter of getting the design for the stave just right. I wish I knew more details about the actual shot, draw length, poundage , details on arrow etc.

avcase:
Was there such a bow shot for official distance?  I read through a huge stack of letters Harry wrote to Bert Grayson over a 20 year period. In them, Harry does mention a short yew self bow that he crafted for the newly formed primitive divisions.  He was very proud of it and had high expectations for it, but it blew up when drawn back at its debut at one of the flight competitions. I can go back and look. I think there was a picture or two of it.

The highlight of Drake's primitive bow building was with his horn-sinew-wood composites in the 1990's. I believe they were not much more than 75-80lb draw. Dan Perry shot one of them in the mid-500 yard range and Don Brown shot the other past 600 yards.  Don still holds the overall modern primitive bow record with that bow.

Alan

Badger:
  Allen, I believe in a conversation with Dan Perry one time he was talking about a yew bow made by Harry Drake that had held some record. It may have fallen under the old flight rules, I don't know much about it. I remember Dan saying that Harry credited to wood. Thats about all I knew about it.

PatM:
Dan Perry said that the bow was 60 inches long  and pulled 80 plus pounds. It was very narrow(one inch) and deep with static tips like all flight bows of the time.
 The bow rapidly degraded in performance and was sold off as a hunting bow.
   The Homer Prouty bow that alan showed on Paleoplanet is likely not too far off what the bow looked like.
 The weight of the arrow used indicates it was probably a shorter arrow and I wouldn't be surprised if a short overdraw was used.
   Here is Dan's quote: 
 When I was trying to pick Harry Drake's brain, (not much success. He was pretty tight lipped about any hows or whys) he told me of a yew self bow he shot just over 540 yards, maybe 541. He said it had very short sharp angled recurves like this one, was 60 inches long, 87 Pound draw, and had limbs about 1 inch wide, rectangular in limb cross section. It was made from high elevation, Earl Ulrich yew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version