Author Topic: Committed  (Read 4631 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Committed
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »
well my plan was,, try it and see how she shoots,, putting recurves has been difficult for me at 7000 feet,, I dont know if I just had a bad streak ,, but I cracked some tips etc etc,, so I thought instead of risking cracking something( on this beautiful stave),, I would just learn how to splice the recurves on if I need too,, I dont know what wood I would use,, just make that decision when I get there, probably going to ask for advice on that one,,  I have had pretty good luck with the straight limb ,, when the whole bow is reflexed,, it will be a hunting bow,, I dont flight shoot or anything,, just want something that shoots hard for the draw weight,, also I thought it would be very interesting to see how it shoots straight tips,( next time I will try your suggestion and splice first so I can sinew over), and then see what the difference would be with the recurves,, I would shoot both ways through the chrono,,, anyway thats my plan ,, we will see how it shoots like it is,, and then I will make a decision about the recurves,, elm does sound good to me,, I will check and see if I can find any here,, I will check out bubby's horn bow,,
DBar,, I am hoping it shoots so good I might not have to do it,, but am ready to learn when the time comes,, I have seen some nice recruves spliced on this site,, plan to ask for lots of advice on that one,,
DWS,, the reverse tiller did turn out pretty good, I hope that helps when I start the real tiller :)

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 05:33:50 pm »
Bradsmith,
I can't wait to see the finished product! The waiting game with sinew is tough but well worth it as far as retained reflex and cast. I'd bet this will be a rocket launcher.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 08:41:15 pm »
I had some time to work on the bow
got it braced low, and adjusted the tiller a bit,, it is now about 53#@22 inches,, of course I shot it,, so far so good,,
my target draw is 25 or 26 just depending on how it is shooting and the tiller looks
it is holding 3 inches of reflex after resting,,
my target weight is mid 50's,, so I am ok for that
and my tips are wide enough I still have the option of splicing recurves,,
the string lines up so I can shoot either limb up,,will see how the longer draw goes,, :)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 08:47:25 pm »
Look'in good..... Brad
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 07:08:44 am »
Brad thats a awsome stave/bow,you have definatly given the inspiration you got away to me on short bow designs. Keep it up!!
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 09:18:35 am »
Looking very good Brad

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 09:55:47 am »
Nice, my friend. Very nice. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 05:36:24 pm »
i have been shooting the bow quite a bit today,, it is about 56#@23 inches of draw
it is shooting a 500 grain arrow in the mid 160's and one shot was 170fps
I had a mis read that was over 200 fps,, that was exciting, forgot to get a photo of that :)
I am hoping when I get it out to 25 inches it will shoot nicely,,and the tiller will look nice,
I really didnt look at the tiller today,, just watching the unbraced profile for now, and keeping the taper even,, it has lots of rings so easy to see them feather out,,,got lots of snow so my pulley is wet and snowy,, will get full draw pics when I get to 25 inches,, :)

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 02:46:22 pm »
Looking good. Braced profile is dead on!