Author Topic: thanksgiving osage  (Read 2565 times)

Offline dylanholderman

thanksgiving osage
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:55:01 pm »
well i had a longer post written up but i lost it because of my lousy computer  >:(
so short version. osage billets i got from my uncle over thanksgiving, they have been on the ground for a little over a year. noticeably heavier than the osage i have been using with smaller growth rings, this is the set i will be starting with.

and the whole pile

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: thanksgiving osage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 06:31:13 pm »
Very nice!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:46:27 pm »
Dylan, a lot of the weight is moisture so get the ends and the back sealed well. It looks like some good osage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:24 pm »
thanks pat will do. i didn't think about moister sense its been down for a year, but it has been out in the elements for a year too ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:25:54 pm »
If it has been laying on bare ground it is drawing moisture not only from the atmosphere but the ground also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 12:09:27 am »
is this bug damage or something else ??? regardless i got past it to a clean ring on both :)

once i got a ring chased i found that its that lovely reddish osage. the knot on one limb might be something of a pain to clean up we'll see.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:14:12 am by dylanholderman »

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 03:33:49 am »
Great colour on that wood. I'll look forward to seeing what you make of them. How long will they need to season?  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 08:44:12 am »
Loos like enough wood around that know so it shouldn't be too bad to work around. Might be a bit stiff there when you're done.

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 09:54:36 am »
Yes, that was bug damage in the sapwood. Seal the ends and the back to avoid checking, I would suggest allowing to dry another year.

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 10:06:26 am »
Let it dry some more and you can take your draw knife and get under the outermost ring and you can pop that cut off limb right off.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 07:27:41 pm »
If it was out in the elements it is just as wet as a freshly cut tree, if not more.  I would allow at least a year of seasoning before working.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 12:36:14 am »
removed some excess wood from the sides and belly, still way to thick to bend.