Author Topic: nice find...for fire  (Read 1804 times)

riverrat

nice find...for fire
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:02:25 pm »
 yesterday i found a nice, bigger cobble of extremely hard flint/cortex material. and on my way back i found what i thought was a nice sized { golf ball} piece of very large grain sand stone. come to find out it aint sand stone at all. i broke it hitting the flint with it. almost in half. got one big piece and two smaller pieces. kind of crystalized on the inside. guess what? :) it sparks like crazy if you scratch it with that flint cobble.just tryed it outside in the dark. my son says "dad you could start a fire with that!" i was like, yep, i bet i could. :) ill post a pic after a bit.
come to find out, a rock i thought would make a good hammer stone also produces sparks hitting the flint.....Tony   
on the left side is that broke piece of rock.bottom left 2 pieces of flint that spark with rocks in picture.on right top that hammer stone that produces sparks when it hits them flint pieces.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:26:47 pm by riverrat »

riverrat

Re: nice find...for fire
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:30:29 pm »
its funny i was just thinking of trying a fire with two rocks {flint} and i go out and find the right ones. its like im guided or something lol :) any idea of what would make the best possible tinder to catch these sparks? i have some char cloth i might try i made up a few days ago just to see how it would work.
just gave it a few whacks outside. i get lots of tiny sparks. but they dont last long. by the time they fall to the charcloth they are extinguished.so i tried to hold the charcloth under the piece of rock in my hand and hit it with the flint. but im afraid i might just slice the heck out of my hand.im gonna give it a rest for tonight. think on it. see what i come up with. i got spark. i just need to make it get to the charcloth fast enough to work.Tony
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:47:07 pm by riverrat »