Author Topic: Rough day.  (Read 5170 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Rough day.
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:17:12 am »
Yesterday I awoke to a chilly 18 deg f. Had trouble getting motivated and didn't get to my stand until after 7am. Around 8:30 a small 8 point came thru and offered me a perfect 12 yard shot. I normally pass on ones this small but I was 19 days into my 21 days off and hadn't even saw a mature buck yet, so I decided to fill my buck tag. Shot looked great. 30" cane shaft with trade point buried up to fletching in his ribs. Gave him a while and started on his trail. I'm color blind so blood trails are meaningless to me. I could track him fine at first by overturned leaves on the frosty ground. Found both halves of my arrow within the first 50 yards. About a hundred yards out he had quit running and I could no longer see his tracks but I figured he couldn't have went much farther so I cast about some but couldn't find him so I went after some help. My non colorblind brother came out and tried to trail him. He found maybe a dozen small drops of blood with the last one about 50 yards past where I had lost his trail. We started to grid search the thick brush but by 12:30 still hasn't found any more sign so we called in two more people to help extend our search. My father finally found him about 3:15. The hillside he was found on has brush so thick you can only see 20 to 30 feet in front of you. He had traveled a good 700 yards after being double lunged. A coyote had found him first and had him half gutted and a small part of one rear flank eaten. Then while I was dressing him out my knife slipped and sliced the skin clean off on the top of my knuckle of my left index finger. After we finally got him home I went inside to tend to my finger while my brother and father took care of the deer. Wife took one look at my finger a said I was going to emergency room or else. I went out to tell dad and brother where we were going to find them just finishing skinning him. That's when I realized I had never took any pictures. Luckily my brother had taken one while I was pulling my truck down to load up the deer.
Steve Bennett

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Rough day.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:22:52 am »
Nice work, no finger pictures either?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:26:44 am »
Nice deer and shot on him.You earned that one.A relative story I'll tell here of one of my friends this year.This big buck was shot the first time slicing his heart with a long bow.These fellas chased this deer 2 days jumping him 3 or 4 times putting 4 more arrows in him 2 of which were compound double lung shots.It's amazing sometimes how much adrenaline they got.I'm sure this incident was'nt your first rodeo either.Everyone seems to go through something like that at one time or another.What did you shoot him with?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:30:37 am »
Nice deer, Turtle. At least the deer was considerate enough to have that stick attached to his antlers to help you get him out of the woods.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »
I love hearing stories where the hunter doesn't give up, for anything. Nice job Steve.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:52:21 pm »
Nice work, no finger pictures either?

I was taught that its not nice to show people the finger.  ::)

Steve Bennett

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:58:59 pm »
author=Beadman link=topic=55104.msg748586#msg748586 date=1448372252]
Nice deer and shot on him.You earned that one.A relative story I'll tell here of one of my friends this year.This big buck was shot the first time slicing his heart with a long bow.These fellas chased this deer 2 days jumping him 3 or 4 times putting 4 more arrows in him 2 of which were compound double lung shots.It's amazing sometimes how much adrenaline they got.I'm sure this incident was'nt your first rodeo either.Everyone seems to go through something like that at one time or another.What did you shoot him with?
[/quote]
Definitely not my first rodeo. Shot him with a short bendy handle osage bow.
Steve Bennett

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 05:56:43 pm »
Cool!!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 08:17:31 pm »
Got the hide stretched already too......cool!!!!!I can see where the yotes ate.I had coyotes eat a bit of a button buck on me overnight too a couple of years ago.Way to hang in there.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:44:58 pm »
Nice deer, but a shame about your finger.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:22 pm »
Hope you have a good time with that finger. Great deer. Congrats!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 04:25:16 am »
Way to stick with it, been there done that and sometimes that is just what you have to do.
Nice deer. My rule is if they are hit anywhere from behind the front shoulder to the front of the hind quarter,3 inches down from the top and 3 inches up from the bottom they are going to die, it is just a matter of finding them and I don't give up until I have exhausted all options, hit anywhere else it's a toss up and may or may not live, most likely will unless they go down quick. :) I love the way everyone jumped in to help, we do the same. Someone gets one hit the hunt is over for all until we find it or give up. :) Hope the finger heals fast. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 06:14:22 am »
Nice work with the deer, shame about the finger... and you broke an arrow too ::).
You gotta be more careful ;)
Hope the finger heals up quick.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 09:30:22 am »
Thanks for the concern about my finger. Only thing missing is skin. Wife insisting that I needed a tetanus shot was the only reason I went to emergency room. Its legal here in Ohio to use a leashed dog to track wounded deer. Been thinking about getting one to train just for that. Sure would make those tough trails a lot easier.
Steve Bennett

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 01:20:32 pm »
Say I've used a jack russel a few times.Found me three deer.
BowEd
Ed