Author Topic: Not sure about this profile  (Read 5530 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Not sure about this profile
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:54:16 am »
Hey guys,

Finally started on this brain child of a bow that has been hanging around my mind for at least a year. Lots of thought has went into it so far with a lot more to come. I snapped this pic last night, sometimes I see things better in a pic. I'm not sure I like that limb profile. Its a self limb, so I can do whatever heat manipulation I want. To me? The reflex starts about 4-6" too soon. It looked better  on my caul, not so much now.

What say you?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Not sure about this profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:58:30 am »
I have a problem with abrupt bends when I tiller, take off wood, take off wood, take off wood, then the dang limb finally moves and goes too far in the opposite direction.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:24 am »
Tell us about the brain child first. Have to know what the plan is before opining on the profile choice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 09:24:45 am »
I hear that Eric, that us exactly how it goes.

Pat, it is nothing more than you see there. I just put a lot of thought into the build and looked at a lot of other FG bows before I even started on it. You can see the deflex is minimal, but still there. That was intentional. The bow will by around 68" long, the limbs are 28" long beyond the riser.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:50:25 am »
What is the reason for crowding all the reflex in the mid-limb? Or mid-outer if you actually intend to move it out a bit.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:56:54 am »
No reason, It looked better on my caul. Now it looks crowded as you said. I'm thinking about flattening it out, say an inch. Then adding more farther out. It just doesn't look right, or efficient to me.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:59:59 am »
I'm not liking it to much Chris, I'd move it out 6" if it was me just has an odd look to it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 10:04:35 am »
I'll flatten it out some and just add statics, pizz on it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:06:51 am »
How about like Gary Davis does his an ever increasing reflex out to the tips evenly.Then all you'd have to worry about is the thickness tapering during tillering to be dead on.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 10:09:57 am »
From the fades that is.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 10:15:30 am »
That would'nt give you much for any sexy curves in it though.I know you like that too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 10:40:23 am »
Sitting back up I suppose? If it were deflex it would look good.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:44:38 am »
I prefer that most of my reflex is mid way and out. I don't like reflex in the fades much Ed.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 10:55:39 am »
Leaving it like that might give you a headache tillering it out.  I would continue adding reflex out to about 6" from the tip, remember you will lose a fair bit of that while tillering the bow out
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 11:23:52 am »
I wouldnt flatten it back down...id just add reflex out in that last ten inches or so where it flattens out...like marc said a lot of that inner mid limb reflex will pull out...told ya this would be a good trial n error lesson.... ;)  once you add the wedge belly side of the limb itll deflex it a tad more too so it wont be as much starting reflex as you are showing now