Author Topic: Building another flintlock  (Read 85928 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Building another flintlock
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2016, 02:12:37 pm »
This is  the most splintery piece of wood I have ever worked. With the curl you can make a cut with you chisel and pop a S shaped splinter that will go down or to either side in a jagged cut, nightmarish stuff to work.   My chisels are so sharp they will cut a freestanding hair but will still cause a runout in this evil wood.

Sure is flustercating, innit?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2016, 02:26:11 pm »
Enjoying this build, wont be long till you're making smoke.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2016, 06:15:14 pm »
Fun afternoon, I got some important stuff done.

First, the most important tool in my arsenal, my leather strop. I strop my tools between each black and check session. I don't have great quality chisels and they don't hold and edge worth a hoot.

I started my sear inlet by drilling a hole for the sear. I drill a little at a time and stop as soon as the tip of the sear quits marking the bottom of the hole. You feel like you are going to break through on the other side which would be really bad, go slow.

Done, almost, some of the wood you see in this picture isn't there on the finished inlet.

Success! Fully cocked and nothing binding.

It took a bunch of blacken, check and chisel sessions to get the pinch points removed so the lock would cock.

The double set triggers are next.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2016, 06:19:37 pm »
Two ways to go about this....yours and then the hog wild burn-it-down style.  I use your style. 

The old saying "measure twice, cut once" sure doesn't apply.  You measure a hundred times!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2016, 06:21:42 pm »
This is awesome Eric!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2016, 06:35:12 pm »
See that little gap on the top part of the tail of the lock plate? One erant swipe with my file caused it when I was loosening up the lock plate inlet so I wouldn't have to pry the lock out.

I soaked the area with water, hit it up with my heat gun and swelled the wood back out for a tight inlet, I hate gaps.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:38:15 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2016, 08:33:35 pm »
That's one of the differences between a beginner and a skilled builder, knowing how to repair the mistakes....well done!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2016, 06:13:07 pm »
Not to keep you all hanging, I have an update I haven't posted yet but backed off the gun to DEER HUNT.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2016, 06:39:34 pm »
Not to keep you all hanging, I have an update I haven't posted yet but backed off the gun to DEER HUNT.

A forgivable excuse....especially if you are using another flintlock and are willing to post pics when you get one!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2016, 09:46:18 am »
Here is Sunday's adventure;

Tenn deer season has closed and I have public land in Alabama to hunt but my reports say the places are covered up with hunters.

Last Sunday was a perfect day, clear, cold and wind out of the N/W.

30 years ago I hunted an unlikely place on Freedom Hills mgt area, right off the main road, the kind of place most folk drive by to get to the deep woods. Freedom Hills is 50+ miles from my house, this has kept me away because I am spoiled by my 19 mile trip to the land I hunt in Tenn.

Cabin fever got the best of me and off I went for an afternoon hunt. I called a friend to tell him where I would be, he had been hunting Freedom Hills and told me he had never seen anyone pulled off where I planned to hunt, perfect.

When I got to the management area and "my" spot there was a jeep parked right where I planned to hunt, dang.

I decided to freelance in unknown territory so I backtracked about 1/4 mile and walked into the woods right on the area boundary. As soon as I got into the woods I started seeing tracks and rubs, lots of them, people had driven by this spot as well, there was no sign of humans, none. the place I found was no more than 150 yards of the main road.

I set up my tree seat on a rub line, raked the leaves back from the base of the tree and got ready. I didn't expect to see anything but the sun going down.

The wind really got up, swirling this way and that. In the mist of the tree bending gust I heard a crash, then a grunt. The wind died temporally and I could hear chasing coming my way. Grunting, chasing but I couldn't see the deer about 50 yards away in the thicket.

Then a doe went by at 40 yards like her butt was on fire, the buck was behind her but he was little more in the thick and I couldn't see him.

Round and round they went, just out of sight for over a half hour.

When it got quiet I use my doe bleat can trying to lure the buck into range, then I heard a deer coming from the other direction, it had to be a buck.

When I could see the new deer it looked like a doe coming straight at me, it had to be a buck, and it was. I have never seen such a big deer with only 1" spikes, a legal buck on the mgt area has to have 3 on a side. He was so lust crazed he walked within 15 yards of me, gave me a stare down, decided I wasn't a threat and continued on his way looking for that estrous doe he heard.

I heard the chasing off and on but the deer eventually moved on. I packed up at dark and headed home, exhilarated by finding a new spot and seeing some action.

When I got ready to leave the woods I pulled the trigger on my gun ( I sit cocked with a frizzen stall in place) and couldn’t get the sear to work and release the hammer. I cocked it back and it worked just fine the next dozen times I tried it. Something is binding, I ran into the same thing when I tested the lock just after I put the new mainspring in it a few days ago. I never polished the hook of the spring where it rests on the tumbler and suspect this is the problem.

When I got home last night I realized I hadn’t put the toothpick back in my touch hole. I always keep my toothpick in my right hand pocket so I fished it out and noticed the tip was broken off. I looked at my gun and sure enough the tip was stuck in the touchhole. If that buck had gone by me my gun wouldn’t have gone off.

I know, another long boring story, but it was a fun evening and exactly why I go to the woods.

Just a followup; I took my lock off, pulled the mainspring and found a casting flaw on the hook. It had a tit like projection right where it contacts the tumbler. The inside of the spring was really rough as well on the lock plate side.

An hour of sanding with 320 first followed by, crocus cloth and then buffed to a mirror finish with a dremel and buffing compound on a polishing wheel has my lock faster than ever.

I dipped my toothpick in super glue which soaks into the wood and makes it like steel, this should end the broke tip problem. Ironically; when I tipped my gun lock down the piece of toothpick fell out.

Headed back to the same place this afternoon.

Stringman

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2016, 10:17:55 am »
Fun adventure! thanks for sharing! Good Luck this afternoon.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »
your supposed to use a feather so it doesn't break off. That's why yankee doodle stuck a feather in his hat, so he had it with him< or so I have heard.  Sounds like a  fun hunt.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2016, 05:01:06 pm »
Good times, Mr. Krewson! 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2016, 04:41:08 am »
Sounds like a good day enjoying Mother Earth ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2016, 06:43:27 am »
Great story, paints a picture for me seein' as i can't get to hunt.
Thanks for posting :laugh:.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.