Author Topic: Building another flintlock  (Read 82601 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Building another flintlock
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2015, 02:50:03 pm »
Very cool Eric! Thanks for sharing your build with us!

I was wondering if you ever heard of Chuck Edwards? He is a custom black powder rifle builder. He does absolutely amazing work. Plus he just happens to be my cousin.
Patrick

I know who Chuck Edwards is! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 02:07:23 pm »
Time to pin the stock to the barrel so everything will be held firmly in place for lock inletting. On these rifles the barrel supports the stock.

First locate where you want the pins so they won't interfere with the ramrod pipes which are pinned to the stock but not the barrel.

The lugs I will dovetail into the barrel are .052 thick so I need to cut a .052 deep dovetail in the barrel.

I mark .050 on the sides of my barrel flat and take out as much material as I can with a hacksaw.

I square everything up first before I cut in the dovetails.
I make my dovetail about .010 undersized so I can file it larger a little bit at a time for a tight lug fit.

A nice tight fit;

Cleaned up and ready to cut the next one, I will put three underlugs evenly spaced to pin the stock to the barrel.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:36:19 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 06:30:00 pm »
Next I inlet a slot for the underlug to fit it into the barrel channel. First I black the lug and press it into the barrel channel to locate the slot.

I cut the slot with chisels, files and even a dremel tool, I want a loose fit.

Done, the barrel bottoms out in the channel again. This lug may go into the ramrod hole, I will push a 3/8" dowel up the ramrod hole to make sure the lug doesn't block the hole and file the bottom of the lug off if it is in the way.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:40:27 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 03:50:59 am »
Really enjoying this Eric - Thanks ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Stringman

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:43 am »
Following

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 09:25:27 am »
In the very first picture there are two marks on the barrel one is clearly for the pin. What is the one on the left for, the Pipe location?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 12:31:37 pm »
Yep, ramrod pipe.

I won't pin the barrel until I get all the underlugs in place and inletted.

I use .078 music wire for pins and thought I was out of it. I found plenty on ebay but it came in much larger lots than I could ever use. I dug a little deeper into my random dowel, rod and pvc pipe catch-all and found some.

Next I needed a #47 drill bit to drill for my pins, it's diameter is .0785. No such animal in town, I found this out after a lot of calling. Ebay to the rescue, I have three drill bits on the way.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:34:52 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2015, 05:30:23 pm »
This is cool. Thanks, Eric.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 06:41:30 pm »
I got all the underlugs installed today, waiting on my drill bits. I will show you all how I drill through the stock and hit the lugs with pictures when I get my bits. I always use a new bit for any small hole drilling during the building process, even with a drill doctor I don't trust used bits to go in right where I want them to.

For instance; if you drill a pilot hole for your touch hole liner and miss by just a fraction it throws everything out of kilter, barrel, lock and all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 05:27:43 am »
Cool build along Eric Thanks, and I thought making ax handles was tedious. ;) ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 10:41:15 am »
Eric,
What tools did you use for inletting the barrel? Did you do it all with just a hack saw and file?
Can you show us the underlugs?

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2015, 11:25:44 am »
The price of a new bit is a heck of a lot cheaper than the time spent fixing the situation I the bit wanders, or wore yet...BREAKS!  (I am putting that trick in my trick bag for future use!)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 11:29:59 am »
Wow.  Super detailed work and explanation.  I'll be bookmarking this one for sure!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 07:15:54 pm »
I inletted the barrel and drilled the ramrod hole by calling Pecatonica longrifles and telling them I had a blank I needed some work on. I sent the barrel and stock blank, two weeks later they sent me back a precarved stock with the barrel inletted and ramrod hole drilled.

I had planned to do it all on this gun but got hit by a lazy spell and farmed some of the work out.

I have a .50 cal Lancaster kit waiting in the wings and wanted to finish this one as quickly as possible and get on to the next one.

I was going to pin the barrel next but  a pro made a comment that he didn't pin one until he had the tang bolt in place which makes sense.

So, it will be inlett the lock, install the double set triggers, drill the tang bolt hole through to the trigger plate, install the tang bolt then pin the barrel.

I marked the touchole location this afternoon so I can aim the lock's pan at it and get it "just right".

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 07:47:33 pm »
Hey Eric, moving along pretty good. I missed the tang install. I noticed you did a great job resulting in a tight fit. When that gun fires over and over you want the barrel recoil hitting squarely on the back end of the barrel against the stock. The breech plug should be hitting the backstop. After many shots the wood can allow the barrel to move slightly further back than where you finish it. That transfers the recoil from the breech plug stop to the tip of the tang. Many old guns are cracked in the wrist because it was real tight. Everything settles in after shooting some. The remedy is to cut just a small gap at the end of the tang for movement. Fill the gap with burnt wax when finishing the stock. This occurs more on big caliber guns with big recoil, but just to be safe give it a little wiggle room.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes